Maltreatment of children in out-of-home care: A review of associated factors and outcomes
AbstractThis paper provides an overview of the nature and consequences of the maltreatment of children in out-of-home care. It discusses maltreatment by individual perpetrators such as carers or other children, and maltreatment inflicted through policies, processes and decisions made within the child protection system. The impacts of maltreatment in out-of-home care on children are reviewed, and the child, worker and system factors that contribute to maltreatment of children in care are discussed. The need for changes in child protection services is highlighted.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Children and Youth Services Review.
Volume (Year): 34 (2012)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/childyouth
Child maltreatment; Out-of-home care; Impact of maltreatment in out-of-home care;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Spencer, J. William & Knudsen, Dean D., 1992. "Out-of-home maltreatment: An analysis of risk in various settings for children," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 485-492.
- Turner, Heather A. & Finkelhor, David & Ormrod, Richard, 2006. "The effect of lifetime victimization on the mental health of children and adolescents," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 13-27, January.
- Wolock, Isabel & Sherman, Patricia & Feldman, Leonard H. & Metzger, Barbara, 2001. "Child abuse and neglect referral patterns: A longitudinal study," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 21-47, January.
- Shaughnessy, Michael F., 1984. "Institutional child abuse," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 311-318.
- Blatt, Edward R., 1992. "Factors associated with child abuse and neglect in residential care settings," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 493-517.
- Groze, Victor, 1990. "An exploratory investigation into institutional mistreatment," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 229-241.
- Euser, Saskia & Alink, Lenneke R.A. & Tharner, Anne & van IJzendoorn, Marinus H. & Bakermans-Kranenburg, Marian J., 2014. "Out of home placement to promote safety? The prevalence of physical abuse in residential and foster care," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(C), pages 64-70.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.