Bayes estimation for the Marshall–Olkin bivariate Weibull distribution
AbstractIn this paper, we consider the Bayesian analysis of the Marshall–Olkin bivariate Weibull distribution. It is a singular distribution whose marginals are Weibull distributions. This is a generalization of the Marshall–Olkin bivariate exponential distribution. It is well known that the maximum likelihood estimators of the unknown parameters do not always exist. The Bayes estimators are obtained with respect to the squared error loss function and the prior distributions allow for prior dependence among the components of the parameter vector. If the shape parameter is known, the Bayes estimators of the unknown parameters can be obtained in explicit forms under the assumptions of independent priors. If the shape parameter is unknown, the Bayes estimators cannot be obtained in explicit forms. We propose to use the importance sampling method to compute the Bayes estimators and also to construct associated credible intervals of the unknown parameters. The analysis of one data set is performed for illustrative purposes. Finally we indicate the analysis of data sets obtained from series and parallel systems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Computational Statistics & Data Analysis.
Volume (Year): 57 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda
Bivariate exponential model; Maximum likelihood estimators; Importance sampling; Prior distribution; Posterior analysis; Credible intervals;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dimitris Karlis, 2003. "ML estimation for multivariate shock models via an EM algorithm," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 55(4), pages 817-830, December.
- Patra, Kaushik & Dey, Dipak K., 1999. "A multivariate mixture of Weibull distributions in reliability modeling," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 225-235, November.
- Kundu, Debasis & Dey, Arabin Kumar, 2009. "Estimating the parameters of the Marshall-Olkin bivariate Weibull distribution by EM algorithm," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 956-965, February.
- G. Heinrich & U. Jensen, 1995. "Parameter estimation for a bivariate lifetime distribution in reliability with multivariate extensions," Metrika, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 49-65, December.
- Kundu, Debasis & Gupta, Arjun K., 2014. "On bivariate Weibull-Geometric distribution," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 123(C), pages 19-29.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.