Maximum likelihood estimation of mixtures of factor analyzers
AbstractMixtures of factor analyzers have been receiving wide interest in statistics as a tool for performing clustering and dimension reduction simultaneously. In this model it is assumed that, within each component, the data are generated according to a factor model. Therefore, the number of parameters on which the covariance matrices depend is reduced. Several estimation methods have been proposed for this model, both in the classical and in the Bayesian framework. However, so far, a direct maximum likelihood procedure has not been developed. This direct estimation problem, which simultaneously allows one to derive the information matrix for the mixtures of factor analyzers, is solved. The effectiveness of the proposed procedure is shown on a simulation study and on a toy example.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Computational Statistics & Data Analysis.
Volume (Year): 55 (2011)
Issue (Month): 9 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda
Model-based clustering Information matrix Maximum likelihood;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhou, Xingcai & Liu, Xinsheng, 2008. "The EM algorithm for the extended finite mixture of the factor analyzers model," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(8), pages 3939-3953, April.
- Boldea, Otilia & Magnus, Jan R., 2009.
"Maximum Likelihood Estimation of the Multivariate Normal Mixture Model,"
Journal of the American Statistical Association,
American Statistical Association, vol. 104(488), pages 1539-1549.
- Boldea, Otilia & Magnus, Jan R., 2009. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of the Multivariate Normal Mixture Model," MPRA Paper 23149, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Raftery, Adrian E. & Dean, Nema, 2006. "Variable Selection for Model-Based Clustering," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 168-178, March.
- McLachlan, G. J. & Peel, D. & Bean, R. W., 2003. "Modelling high-dimensional data by mixtures of factor analyzers," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-4), pages 379-388, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.