Approximate Bayesian inference in spatial GLMM with skew normal latent variables
AbstractSpatial generalized linear mixed models are common in applied statistics. Most users are satisfied using a Gaussian distribution for the spatial latent variables in this model, but it is unclear whether the Gaussian assumption holds. Wrong Gaussian assumptions cause bias in the parameter estimates and affect the accuracy of spatial predictions. Thus, there is a need for more flexible priors for the latent variables, and to perform efficient inference and spatial prediction in the resulting models. In this paper we use a skew normal prior distribution for the spatial latent variables. We propose new approximate Bayesian methods for the inference and spatial prediction in this model. A key ingredient in our approximations is using the closed skew normal distribution to approximate the full conditional for the latent variables. Our approximate inference and spatial prediction methods are fast and deterministic, using no sampling based strategies. The results indicate that the skew normal prior model can give better predictions than the normal model, while avoiding overfitting.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Computational Statistics & Data Analysis.
Volume (Year): 55 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda
Approximate Bayesian inference Closed skew normal distribution Geostatistics Latent variables MCMC Skew normal distribution Spatial generalized linear mixed model;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Quinn McNemar, 1947. "Note on the sampling error of the difference between correlated proportions or percentages," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 153-157, June.
- Komárek, Arnost & Lesaffre, Emmanuel, 2008. "Generalized linear mixed model with a penalized Gaussian mixture as a random effects distribution," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(7), pages 3441-3458, March.
- Gelfand, Alan E. & Kottas, Athanasios & MacEachern, Steven N., 2005. "Bayesian Nonparametric Spatial Modeling With Dirichlet Process Mixing," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 1021-1035, September.
- Varin, Cristiano & Host, Gudmund & Skare, Oivind, 2005. "Pairwise likelihood inference in spatial generalized linear mixed models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 1173-1191, June.
- Ainsworth, L.M. & Dean, C.B., 2006. "Approximate inference for disease mapping," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(10), pages 2552-2570, June.
- H�vard Rue & Sara Martino & Nicolas Chopin, 2009. "Approximate Bayesian inference for latent Gaussian models by using integrated nested Laplace approximations," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 71(2), pages 319-392.
- Kim, Ji-Hyun, 2009. "Estimating classification error rate: Repeated cross-validation, repeated hold-out and bootstrap," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(11), pages 3735-3745, September.
- Jo Eidsvik & Sara Martino & H�Vard Rue, 2009. "Approximate Bayesian Inference in Spatial Generalized Linear Mixed Models," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 36(1), pages 1-22.
- Martins, Thiago G. & Simpson, Daniel & Lindgren, Finn & Rue, Håvard, 2013. "Bayesian computing with INLA: New features," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 67(C), pages 68-83.
- Baghishani, Hossein & Mohammadzadeh, Mohsen, 2011. "A data cloning algorithm for computing maximum likelihood estimates in spatial generalized linear mixed models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(4), pages 1748-1759, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.