Clustering of discretely observed diffusion processes
AbstractA new distance to classify time series is proposed. The underlying generating process is assumed to be a diffusion process solution to stochastic differential equations and observed at discrete times. The mesh of observations is not required to shrink to zero. The new dissimilarity measure is based on the L1 distance between the Markov operators estimated on two observed paths. Simulation experiments are used to analyze the performance of the proposed distance under several conditions including perturbation and misspecification. As an example, real financial data from NYSE/NASDAQ stocks are analyzed and evidence is provided that the new distance seems capable to catch differences in both the drift and diffusion coefficients better than other commonly used non-parametric distances. Corresponding software is available in the add-on package sde for the R statistical environment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Computational Statistics & Data Analysis.
Volume (Year): 54 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda
Other versions of this item:
- Alessandro De Gregorio & Stefano Iacus, 2008. "Clustering of discretely observed diffusion processes," UNIMI - Research Papers in Economics, Business, and Statistics unimi-1077, Universitá degli Studi di Milano.
- Alessandro De Gregorio & Stefano Maria Iacus, 2008. "Clustering of discretely observed diffusion processes," Papers 0809.3902, arXiv.org.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Alexandre Scheinkman, Jose & Touzi, Nizar, 1998. "Spectral methods for identifying scalar diffusions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 1-32, June.
- Gobet, Emmanuel & Hoffmann, Marc & Reiß, Markus, 2002. "Nonparametric estimation of scalar diffusions based on low frequency data is ill-posed," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2002,57, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995.
"Nonparametric Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Securities,"
NBER Working Papers
5345, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996. "Nonparametric Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Securities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 527-60, May.
- Junichi Hirukawa, 2006. "Cluster Analysis For Non-Gaussian Locally Stationary Processes," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 9(01), pages 113-132.
- E. Otranto, 2008.
"Clustering Heteroskedastic Time Series by Model-Based Procedures,"
Working Paper CRENoS
200801, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Otranto, Edoardo, 2008. "Clustering heteroskedastic time series by model-based procedures," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(10), pages 4685-4698, June.
- Toni Giorgino, . "Computing and Visualizing Dynamic Time Warping Alignments in R: The dtw Package," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 31(i07).
- Corduas, Marcella & Piccolo, Domenico, 2008. "Time series clustering and classification by the autoregressive metric," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 1860-1872, January.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Caiado, Jorge & Crato, Nuno & Pena, Daniel, 2006. "A periodogram-based metric for time series classification," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(10), pages 2668-2684, June.
- Alonso, A.M. & Berrendero, J.R. & Hernandez, A. & Justel, A., 2006. "Time series clustering based on forecast densities," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 762-776, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.