Estimation in Two Classes of Semiparametric Diffusion Models
AbstractIn this paper we propose an estimation method for two classes of semiparametric scalar diffusion models driven by a Brownian motion: In the first class, only the diffusion term is parameterised while the drift is unspecified; in the second, the drift term is specified while the diffusion term is of unknown form. The estimation method is based on the assumption of stationarity of the observed process. This allows us to express the unspecified term as a functional of the parametric part and the stationary density. A MLE-like estimator for the parametric part and a kernel estimator of the nonparametric part are defined for a discrete sample with a fixed time distance between the observations. We show that the parametric part of the estimator is n-consistent, while the nonparametric part has a slower convergence rate. Also, the asymptotic distribution of the estimator is derived. We give a brief discussion of the issue of semiparametric efficiency, and present a small simulation study of the finite-sample performance of our estimator.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Financial Markets Group in its series FMG Discussion Papers with number dp500.
Date of creation: Jun 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/fmg/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fuchun Li, 2005. "Testing the Parametric Specification of the Diffusion Function in a Diffusion Process," Working Papers 05-35, Bank of Canada.
- Kristensen, Dennis & Shin, Yongseok, 2012.
"Estimation of dynamic models with nonparametric simulated maximum likelihood,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 76-94.
- Dennis Kristensen & Yongseok Shin, 2008. "Estimation of Dynamic Models with Nonparametric Simulated Maximum Likelihood," CREATES Research Papers 2008-58, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Kristensen, Dennis, 2010.
"Pseudo-maximum likelihood estimation in two classes of semiparametric diffusion models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 156(2), pages 239-259, June.
- Dennis Kristensen, 2009. "Pseudo-Maximum Likelihood Estimation in Two Classes of Semiparametric Diffusion Models," CREATES Research Papers 2009-41, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Gao, Jiti & Casas, Isabel, 2006.
"Specification testing in discretized diffusion models: Theory and practice,"
11980, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Aug 2007.
- Gao, Jiti & Casas, Isabel, 2008. "Specification testing in discretized diffusion models: Theory and practice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 131-140, November.
- Kristensen, Dennis, 2008. "Estimation of partial differential equations with applications in finance," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 144(2), pages 392-408, June.
- Yu, Jialin, 2007. "Closed-form likelihood approximation and estimation of jump-diffusions with an application to the realignment risk of the Chinese Yuan," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1245-1280, December.
- Xu, Ke-Li, 2009. "Empirical likelihood-based inference for nonparametric recurrent diffusions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 153(1), pages 65-82, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.