Exact formulas for the Hodrick-Prescott filter
AbstractThe Hodrick--Prescott (HP) filter is widely used in the field of economics to estimate trends and cycles from time series data. For certain applications--such as deriving implied trend and cycle models and obtaining filter weights--it is desirable to express the frequency response of the HP as the spectral density of an ARMA model; in other words, to accomplish the spectral factorization of the HP filter. This paper presents an exact approach to this problem, which makes it possible to provide exact algebraic formulas for the HP filter coefficients in terms of the HP's signal-to-noise ratio. Copyright Royal Economic Society 2008
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal Econometrics Journal.
Volume (Year): 11 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Coeurdacier, Nicolas & Kollmann, Robert Miguel W. K. & Martin, Philippe J., 2008.
"International portfolios, capital accumulation and foreign assets dynamics,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2008,19, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Coeurdacier, Nicolas & Kollmann, Robert & Martin, Philippe, 2010. "International portfolios, capital accumulation and foreign assets dynamics," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 100-112, January.
- Coeurdacier, Nicolas & Kollmann, Robert & Martin, Philippe, 2008. "International Portfolios, Capital Accumulation and Foreign Assets Dynamics," CEPR Discussion Papers 6902, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nicolas Coeurdacier & Robert Kollmann & Philippe Martin, 2009. "International portfolios, capital accumulation and foreign assets dynamics," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 27, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Nicolas Coeurdacier, 2011. "Limited participation and International Risk-Sharing," 2011 Meeting Papers 613, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Kristian Jönsson, 2010. "Trend extraction with a judgement-augmented hodrick–prescott filter," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 703-711, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.