Some evidence about the evolution of the size distribution of Italian firms by age
AbstractIn this short note we are interested in the distribution of Italian firm size by age. In the wake of other recent work, such as Cabral and Mata (2003) [On the evolution of firm size distribution: facts and theory. American Economic Review 93, 1075-1090] for Portuguese companies, we aim to verify if the size distribution of young firms (less than 5 years old) is sensibly different from that of older firms (more than 30 years old). To perform our analysis we use a very comprehensive industrial panel, with about 25k firms for twenty years of observations. As far as the results are concerned, it is possible to verify a clear difference in the size distribution of firms by age, for which we give a good fit using the generalized beta distribution of the second kind.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 29 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
firms' size distribution; generalized beta of the second kind; firms' age; empirical laws;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C4 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics
- D3 - Microeconomics - - Distribution
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L. Crosato & P. Ganugi, 2007. "Statistical regularity of firm size distribution: the Pareto IV and truncated Yule for Italian SCI manufacturing," Statistical Methods and Applications, Springer, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 85-115, June.
- Singh, S K & Maddala, G S, 1976. "A Function for Size Distribution of Incomes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 44(5), pages 963-70, September.
- Paolo Angelini & Andrea Generale, 2008. "On the Evolution of Firm Size Distributions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 98(1), pages 426-38, March.
- Clementi, F. & Di Matteo, T. & Gallegati, M. & Kaniadakis, G., 2008.
"The κ-generalized distribution: A new descriptive model for the size distribution of incomes,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 387(13), pages 3201-3208.
- F. Clementi & T. Di Matteo & M. Gallegati & G. Kaniadakis, 2007. "The k-generalized distribution: A new descriptive model for the size distribution of incomes," Papers 0710.3645, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2008.
- Lu�s M B Cabral & Jos� Mata, 2003.
"On the Evolution of the Firm Size Distribution: Facts and Theory,"
American Economic Review, American Economic Association,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1075-1090, September.
- Cabral, Luís M B & Mata, José, 2001. "On the Evolution of the Firm Size Distribution: Facts and Theory," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 3045, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- McDonald, James B, 1984. "Some Generalized Functions for the Size Distribution of Income," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 647-63, May.
- Giulio Bottazzi & Elena Cefis & Giovanni Dosi, 2001.
"Corporate Growth and Industrial Structure. Some Evidence from the Italian Manufacturing Industry,"
LEM Papers Series, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy
2001/08, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Giulio Bottazzi & Elena Cefis & Giovanni Dosi, 2002. "Corporate growth and industrial structures: some evidence from the Italian manufacturing industry," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 11(4), pages 705-723, August.
- Vicente Cunat & Andrea Caggese, 2011.
"Financing Constraints, Firm Dynamics, Export Decisions, and Aggregate productivity,"
2011 Meeting Papers
187, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Andrea Caggese & Vicente Cunat, 2013. "Financing Constraints, Firm Dynamics, Export Decisions, and Aggregate Productivity," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 16(1), pages 177-193, January.
- Andrea Caggese & Vincente Cunat, 2011. "Financing Constraints, Firm Dynamics, Export Decisions and Aggregate productivity," FMG Discussion Papers, Financial Markets Group dp685, Financial Markets Group.
- Andrea Caggese & Vicente Cuñat, 2011. "Financing constraints, firm dynamics, export decisions, and aggregate productivity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library 43160, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.