Price and Wage Setting in Japan: An Empirical Investigation
AbstractThis paper empirically analyzes whether a hypothesis from Aukrust (1977) applies to two phenomena in Japan: wage spillover between internationally competitive industries (exposed sectors) and domestically protected industries (sheltered sectors), and wage- and price- setting in those industries. We find that Aukrust's assumptions hold in the case of Japan, as all three of the cointegrating relations assumed by the Aukrust model are confirmed to exist. We also find the causal relations in Japan are more complex than the relations assumed by Aukrust.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by AccessEcon in its journal Economics Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 29 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F4 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacobson, Tor & Ohlsson, Henry, 1994.
"Long-Run Relations between Private and Public Sector Wages in Sweden,"
Empirical Economics, Springer,
Springer, vol. 19(3), pages 343-60.
- Jocobson, T. & Ohlsson, H., 1991. "Cointegrating Sectoral Wages in Sweden - a Maximum Likelihood Approach," Papers, Uppsala - Working Paper Series 1991t, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University
1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- Nymoen, R, 1991. "A Small Linear Model of Wage- and Price-Inflation in the Norwegian Economy," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(3), pages 255-69, July-Sept.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992.
"Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?," Papers, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory 8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Holmlund, B. & Ohlsson, H., 1990. "Wage Linkages Between Private and Public Sectors," Papers, Uppsala - Working Paper Series 1990t, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Elliott, Graham & Rothenberg, Thomas J & Stock, James H, 1996.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 813-36, July.
- Tom Doan, . "GLSDETREND: RATS procedure to perform local to unity GLS detrending," Statistical Software Components, Boston College Department of Economics RTS00077, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992. "Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root," NBER Technical Working Papers, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc 0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "ERSTEST: RATS procedure to perform Elliott-Rothenberg-Stock unit root tests," Statistical Software Components, Boston College Department of Economics RTS00066, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.