AbstractIn this paper we start with an evaluation of the various advantages and disadvantages of decentralisation (in the sense of devolution of power to local agencies and communities), and also of the conditions that predispose towards success or failure in beneficial decentralised development. In particular we have focussed on the argument that in governance structures control rights should be assigned to people who have the requisite information and incentives, and at the same time will bear responsibility for the (political and economic) consequences of their decisions. We try to provide a balanced assessment of the efficiency and equity effects of such assignments of control rights and how they operate differently under different initial conditions.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics in its journal Indian Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 31 (1996)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Delhi, Delhi 110 007
Phone: 91-11-2766-6533/34/35, 2766-6703/04/05
Web page: http://www.ierdse.org/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O0 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - General
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- P0 - Economic Systems - - General
- P5 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Das Gupta, Monica, 1999.
"Liberte, egalite, fraternite : exploring the role of governance in fertility decline,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2126, The World Bank.
- Monica Das Gupta, 1999. "Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite: Exploring the role of governance in fertility decline," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(5), pages 1-25.
- Raghav Gaiha, 2004. "Is There a Case for the Employment Guarantee Scheme in India? Some Recent Evidence," ASARC Working Papers 2004-09, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Ganesh Thapa, 2004. "Rural Poverty Reduction Strategy for South Asia," ASARC Working Papers 2004-06, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Galasso, Emanuela & Ravallion, Martin, 2000. "Distributional outcomes of a decentralized welfare program," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2316, The World Bank.
- Maria Rosaria Garofalo & Maria Rosaria Supino, 2002. "Il Disegno Normativo del Welfare Municipale in Italia come Strumento per lo Sviluppo Economico e l'Allargamento delle Opportunita Occupazionali. Una Lettura Neoistituzionale della L. 328/00," CELPE Discussion Papers 67, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Galasso, Emanuela & Ravallion, Martin, 2005. "Decentralized targeting of an antipoverty program," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(4), pages 705-727, April.
- Mody, Jyothsna, 2004. "Achieving accountability through decentralization : lessons for integrated river basin management," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3346, The World Bank.
- Wiggins, Steve & Marfo, Kofi & Anchirinah, Vincent, 2004. "Protecting the Forest or the People? Environmental Policies and Livelihoods in the Forest Margins of Southern Ghana," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 1939-1955, November.
- Dilip Mookherjee & Pranab K. Bardhan, 2000. "Capture and Governance at Local and National Levels," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 135-139, May.
- Hazell, Peter & Poulton, Colin & Wiggins, Steve & Dorward, Andrew, 2010. "The Future of Small Farms: Trajectories and Policy Priorities," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1349-1361, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pami Dua).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.