Efficient Iv Estimation For Autoregressive Models With Conditional Heteroskedasticity
AbstractThis paper analyzes autoregressive time series models where the errors are assumed to be martingale difference sequences that satisfy an additional symmetry condition on their fourth-order moments. Under these conditions quasi maximum likelihood estimators of the autoregressive parameters are no longer efficient in the generalized method of moments (GMM) sense. The main result of the paper is the construction of efficient semiparametric instrumental variables estimators for the autoregressive parameters. The optimal instruments are linear functions of the innovation sequence.It is shown that a frequency domain approximation of the optimal instruments leads to an estimator that only depends on the data periodogram and an unknown linear filter. Semiparametric methods to estimate the optimal filter are proposed.The procedure is equivalent to GMM estimators where lagged observations are used as instruments. As a result of the additional symmetry assumption on the fourth moments the number of instruments is allowed to grow at the same rate as the sample. No lag truncation parameters are needed to implement the estimator, which makes it particularly appealing from an applied point of view.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 18 (2002)
Issue (Month): 03 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:email@example.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Douglas Hodgson, 2002. "Semiparametric Efficient Estimation of the Mean of a Time Series in the Presence of Conditional Heterogeneity of Unknown Form," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 146, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Kenneth D. West & Ka-fu Wong & Stanislav Anatolyev, 2007.
"Instrumental Variables Estimation of Heteroskedastic Linear Models Using All Lags of Instruments,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0338, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth West & Ka-fu Wong & Stanislav Anatolyev, 2009. "Instrumental Variables Estimation of Heteroskedastic Linear Models Using All Lags of Instruments," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(5), pages 441-467.
- Kenneth D. West & Ka-fu Wong & Stanislav Anatolyev, 2007. "Instrumental Variables Estimation of Heteroskedastic Linear Models Using All Lags of Instruments," NBER Working Papers 13134, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- West,K.D. & Wong,K.-F. & Anatolyev,S., 2001. "Instrumental variables estimation of heteroskedastic linear models using all lags of instruments," Working papers 20, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Stanislav Anatolyev, 2007.
"Optimal Instruments In Time Series: A Survey,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 143-173, 02.
- Robinson, Peter M. & Henry, M., 1999.
"Long and short memory conditional heteroskedasticity in estimating the memory parameter of levels,"
Open Access publications from London School of Economics and Political Science
http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/, London School of Economics and Political Science.
- Robinson, P.M. & Henry, M., 1999. "Long And Short Memory Conditional Heteroskedasticity In Estimating The Memory Parameter Of Levels," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(03), pages 299-336, June.
- Kuersteiner, Guido M., 2012. "Kernel-weighted GMM estimators for linear time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 170(2), pages 399-421.
- Guido M. Kuersteiner, 1999.
"Optimal Instrumental Variables Estimation for ARMA Models,"
99-07, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Kuersteiner, Guido M., 2001. "Optimal instrumental variables estimation for ARMA models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 359-405, September.
- Ke-Li Xu & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2006.
"Adaptive Estimation of Autoregressive Models with Time-Varying Variances,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1585R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Nov 2006.
- Xu, Ke-Li & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2008. "Adaptive estimation of autoregressive models with time-varying variances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 265-280, January.
- Ke-Li Xu & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2006. "Adaptive Estimation of Autoregressive Models with Time-Varying Variances," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1585, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Kenneth D. West, 2000.
"On Optimal Instrumental Variables Estimation of Stationary Time Series Models,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0249, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- West, Kenneth D, 2001. "On Optimal Instrumental Variables Estimation of Stationary Time Series Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(4), pages 1043-50, November.
- Oscar Jorda, 2007.
"Inference for Impulse Responses,"
77, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Jorda, Oscar, 2007.
"Joint Inference and Counterfactual Experimentation for Impulse Response Functions by Local Projections,"
06-24, University of California at Davis, Department of Economics.
- Oscar Jorda, 2007. "Joint Inference and Counterfactual experimentation for Impulse Response Functions by Local Projections," Working Papers 624, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Gospodinov, Nikolay & Otsu, Taisuke, 2012.
"Local GMM estimation of time series models with conditional moment restrictions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 170(2), pages 476-490.
- Nikolay Gospodinov & Taisuke Otsu, 2008. "Local GMM Estimation of Time Series Models with Conditional Moment Restrictions," Working Papers 08010, Concordia University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.