Dynamically Consistent Oil Import Tariffs
AbstractThe standard solution of the open-loop optimal import tariff is normally time inconsistent. This paper shows why and derives the dynamically consistent Markov perfect tariff. The two tariffs are compared; they differ except for a special class of import demands. The time paths of tariffs and the welfare cost of an inability to commit are calculated for a dominant importer. The welfare costs of the inability to commit are small if its market share is below one-half.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Canadian Economics Association in its journal Canadian Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 25 (1992)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Canadian Economics Association Prof. Steven Ambler, Secretary-Treasurer c/o Olivier Lebert, CEA/CJE/CPP Office C.P. 35006, 1221 Fleury Est Montréal, Québec, Canada H2C 3K4
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kenji Fujiwara & Ngo Long, 2011.
"Welfare Implications of Leadership in a Resource Market under Bilateral Monopoly,"
Dynamic Games and Applications,
Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 479-497, December.
- Kenji Fujiwara & Ngo Van Long, 2010. "Welfare Implications of Leadership in a Resource Market Under Bilateral Monopoly," CIRANO Working Papers 2010s-16, CIRANO.
- Kenji Fujiwara & Ngo Van Long, 2011. "Welfare Implications of Leadership in a Resource Market under Bilateral Monopoly," Discussion Paper Series 76, School of Economics, Kwansei Gakuin University, revised Sep 2011.
- Santiago J. Rubio, 2004. "On Capturing Oil Rents with a National Excise Tax Revisited," Working Papers 2004.133, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Gregory Goering & Michael Pippenger, 2003. "Dynamic consistency and monopoly," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 31(2), pages 188-194, June.
- Eduardo, Ley & Jessica, Boccardo, 2009.
"The Taxation of Motor Fuel: International Comparison,"
19461, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ley, Eduardo & Boccardo, Jessica, 2010. "The taxation of motor fuel : international comparison," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5212, The World Bank.
- Santiago J. Rubio, 2005. "Tariff Agreements And Non-Renewable Resource International Monopolies: Prices Versus Quantitites," Working Papers. Serie AD 2005-10, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Keutiben, Octave, 2014. "On capturing foreign oil rents," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 542-555.
- Groot, Fons & Withagen, Cees & de Zeeuw, Aart, 2003.
"Strong time-consistency in the cartel-versus-fringe model,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 287-306, November.
- Groot, F. & Withagen, C.A.A.M. & Zeeuw, A.J. de, 2003. "Strong time-consistency in the cartel-versus-fringe model," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-117032, Tilburg University.
- Groot, A.M. & Withagen, C.A.A.M. & Zeeuw, A.J. de, 1996. "Strong Time-Consistency in the Cartel-versus-Fringe Model," Discussion Paper 1996-22, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jean-Philippe Gervais, 2001. "Production uncertainty and trade policy commitment," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 1-21.
- Gervais, Jean-Philippe & Lapan, Harvey E., 2002.
"Time consistent export quotas in an oligopolistic world market,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 445-463, March.
- Gervais, Jean-Philippe & Lapan, Harvey E., 2002. "Time Consistent Export Quotas in an Oligopolistic World Market," Staff General Research Papers 5186, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Amundsen, Eirik S. & Bergman, Lars, 2005. "International Redistribution of Resource Rents: An alternative perspective on the Kyoto process," MPRA Paper 10624, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rubio, Santiago J. & Escriche, Luisa, 2001.
"Strategic pigouvian taxation, stock externalities and polluting non-renewable resources,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 297-313, February.
- Santiago J. Rubio & Luisa Escriche, 1998. "- Strategic Pigouvian Taxation, Stock Externalities And Polluting Non-Renewable Resources," Working Papers. Serie EC 1998-23, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Santiago Rubio, 2011. "On Capturing Rent from a Non-renewable Resource International Monopoly: Prices Versus Quantities," Dynamic Games and Applications, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 558-580, December.
- Gérard Gaudet, 2007. "Natural resource economics under the rule of Hotelling," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1033-1059, November.
- Amundsen, Eirik Schrøder & Bergman, Lars, 2005. "International Redistribution of Resource Rents: An alternative perspective on the Kyoto process," Working Papers in Economics 08/05, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Ngo Long, 2011. "Dynamic Games in the Economics of Natural Resources: A Survey," Dynamic Games and Applications, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 115-148, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.