SIMANN: A Global Optimization Algorithm using Simulated Annealing
AbstractThis paper describes SIMANN, a Fortran and GAUSS implementation of the simulated annealing algorithm. The Fortran code was used in "Global Optimization of Statistical Functions with Simulated Annealing" (Goffe, Ferrier, and Rogers 1994). In that paper, simulated annealing was found to be competitive, if not superior, to multiple restarts of conventional optimization routines for difficult optimization problems. This paper compares SIMANN to the DFP algorithm on another optimization problem, namely, the maximum likelihood estimation of a rational expectations model, which was previously studied in the literature. SIMANN again performs quite well, and shows several advantages over DFP. This paper also describes simulated annealing, and gives explicit directions and an example for using the included GAUSS and Fortran code.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 1 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Franke, Reiner & Jang, Tae-Seok & Sacht, Stephen, 2012.
"Moment matching versus Bayesian estimation: Backward-looking behaviour in a New-Keynesian baseline model,"
Economics Working Papers
2012-08, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Sacht, Stephen & Franke, Reiner & Jang, Tae-Seok, 2013. "Moment Matching versus Bayesian Estimation: Backward-Looking Behaviour in a New-Keynesian Baseline Model," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79694, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- K. Chua & S. Ong, 2013. "Test of misspecification with application to negative binomial distribution," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 993-1009, June.
- William L. Goffe, .
"A Toolkit for Optimizing Functions in Economics,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1997
65, Society for Computational Economics.
- Coenen, Günter & Lombardo, Giovanni & Smets, Frank & Straub, Roland, 2008.
"International transmission and monetary policy cooperation,"
Working Paper Series
0858, European Central Bank.
- Günter Coenen & Giovanni Lombardo & Frank Smets & Roland Straub, 2007. "International Transmission and Monetary Policy Cooperation," NBER Chapters, in: International Dimensions of Monetary Policy, pages 157-192 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- André Kurmann, 2004.
"Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Stochastic Theories with an Application to New Keynesian Pricing,"
- André Kurmann, 2004. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Stochastic Theories with an Application to New Keynesian Pricing," Cahiers de recherche 0421, CIRPEE.
- Kurmann, Andre, 2007. "VAR-based estimation of Euler equations with an application to New Keynesian pricing," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 767-796, March.
- Ueda, Atsuko, 2008. "Dynamic model of childbearing and labor force participation of married women: Empirical evidence from Korea and Japan," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 170-180, April.
- Franke, Reiner, 2013. "Competitive Moment Matching of a New-Keynesian and an Old-Keynesian Model," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79988, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Lombardo, Giovanni & McAdam, Peter, 2012.
"Financial market frictions in a model of the euro area,"
Working Paper Series
1423, European Central Bank.
- Lombardo, Giovanni & McAdam, Peter, 2012. "Financial market frictions in a model of the Euro area," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2460-2485.
- Nakatsuma, Teruo, 2000. "Bayesian analysis of ARMA-GARCH models: A Markov chain sampling approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 57-69, March.
- Roger A. McCain, 2000. "Road Rage: Imitative Learning Of Self-Destructive Behavior In An Agent-Based Simulation," Computing in Economics and Finance 2000 270, Society for Computational Economics.
- Schündeln, Matthias, 2005. "Modeling Firm Dynamics to Identify the Cost of Financing Constraints in Ghanaian Manufacturing," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Kiel 2005 29, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.