Money Creation in a Random Matching Model
AbstractI study money creation in versions of the Trejos-Wright (1995) and Shi (1995) models with indivisible money and individual holdings bounded at two units. I work with the same class of policies as in Deviatov and Wallace (2001), who study money creation in that model. However, I consider an alternative notion of implementability - the ex ante pairwise core. I compute a set of numerical examples to determine whether money creation is beneficial. I find beneficial effects of money creation if individuals are sufficiently risk averse (obtain sufficiently high utility gains from trade) and impatient.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics.
Volume (Year): 6 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guillaume Rocheteau, 2011.
"The cost of inflation: a mechanism design approach,"
1103, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Rocheteau, Guillaume, 2012. "The cost of inflation: A mechanism design approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(3), pages 1261-1279.
- Neil Wallace & Alexei Deviatov, 2008. "A new model of central-bank intervention: some examples," 2008 Meeting Papers 489, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Zhu, Tao, 2008. "An overlapping-generations model with search," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 318-331, September.
- Deviatov, Alexei & Wallace, Neil, 2009. "A model in which monetary policy is about money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 283-288, April.
- Alexei Deviatov & Neil Wallace, . "Optimal inflation in a model of inside money," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.