Differentiability of the Efficient Frontier when Commitment to Risk Sharing is Limited
AbstractThis paper shows that the value function describing efficient risk sharing with limited commitment is not necessarily differentiable everywhere. We link differentiability of the value function to history dependence of efficient allocations and provide sufficient conditions for both properties.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics.
Volume (Year): 6 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
Other versions of this item:
- Thorsten Koeppl, 2004. "Differentiability of the Efficient Frontier when Commitment to Risk Sharing is Limited," Working Papers 1049, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kocherlakota, Narayana R, 1996.
"Implications of Efficient Risk Sharing without Commitment,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(4), pages 595-609, October.
- Narayana Kocherlakota, 2010. "Implications of Efficient Risk Sharing Without Commitment," Levine's Working Paper Archive 2053, David K. Levine.
- Ligon, Ethan & Thomas, Jonathan P & Worrall, Tim, 2002.
"Informal Insurance Arrangements with Limited Commitment: Theory and Evidence from Village Economies,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(1), pages 209-44, January.
- Ethan Ligon & Jonathan P. Thomas & Tim Worrall, 2002. "Informal Insurance Arrangements with Limited Commitment: Theory and Evidence from Village Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 69(1), pages 209-244.
- Kehoe, Timothy J & Levine, David K, 2001. "Liquidity Constrained Markets versus Debt Constrained Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(3), pages 575-98, May.
- Coate, Stephen & Ravallion, Martin, 1993. "Reciprocity without commitment : Characterization and performance of informal insurance arrangements," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 1-24, February.
- Benveniste, L M & Scheinkman, J A, 1979. "On the Differentiability of the Value Function in Dynamic Models of Economics," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(3), pages 727-32, May.
- Tessa Bold, 2008. "Implications of Endogenous Group Formation for Efficient Risk-Sharing," Economics Series Working Papers 387, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Fuchs, William & Lippi, Francesco, 2003.
"Monetary Union with Voluntary Participation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4122, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- William Fuchs & Francesco Lippi, 2004. "Monetary union with voluntary participation," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 512, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- William Fuchs & Francesco Lippi, 2005. "Monetary Union with Voluntary Participation," Discussion Papers 04-013, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Huang, Pidong, 2013. "Optimal Unemployment Insurance With Different Types of Job," MPRA Paper 46626, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dubois, Pierre & Jullien, Bruno & Magnac, Thierry, 2007.
"Formal and Informal Risk Sharing in LDCs: Theory and Empirical Evidence,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2842, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pierre Dubois & Bruno Jullien & Thierry Magnac, 2008. "Formal and Informal Risk Sharing in LDCs: Theory and Empirical Evidence," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(4), pages 679-725, 07.
- Dubois, Pierre & Jullien, Bruno & Magnac, Thierry, 2007. "Formal and Informal Risk Sharing in LDCs: Theory and Empirical Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 6060, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dubois, Pierre & Jullien, Bruno & Magnac, Thierry, 2008. "Formal and Informal Risk Sharing in LDCs: Theory and Empirical Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 6661, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierre Dubois & Bruno Jullien & Thierry Magnac, 2008. "Formal and Informal Risk Sharing in LDCs: Theory and Empirical Evidence," CESifo Working Paper Series 2184, CESifo Group Munich.
- Dubois, Pierre & Jullien, Bruno & Magnac, Thierry, 2005. "Formal and Informal Risk Sharing in LDCs: Theory and Empirical Evidence," IDEI Working Papers 351, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Dec 2007.
- Dubois, P. & Jullien, B. & Magnac, T., 2006. "Formal and informal risk sharing in LDCs : theory and empirical evidence," Economics Working Paper Archive (Toulouse) 200608, French Institute for Agronomy Research (INRA), Economics Laboratory in Toulouse (ESR Toulouse).
- Manuel Santos & Juan Pablo Rincon-Zapatero, 2007.
"Differentiability of the Value Function without Interiority Assumptions,"
0704, University of Miami, Department of Economics.
- Rincón-Zapatero, Juan Pablo & Santos, Manuel S., 2009. "Differentiability of the value function without interiority assumptions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 144(5), pages 1948-1964, September.
- Juan Pablo Rincon-Zapatero & Manuel S. Santos, 2007. "Differentiability of the value function without interiority assumptions," Economics Working Papers we071405, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Carmona, Guilherme, 2006. "On the Optimality of the Equality Matching Form of Sociality," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp489, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- repec:ner:toulou:http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr/382/ is not listed on IDEAS
- Blundell,Richard & Newey,Whitney K. & Persson,Torsten (ed.), 2006. "Advances in Economics and Econometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521692083, December.
- repec:ner:carlos:info:hdl:10016/5580 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.