The Hayekian Puzzle: Spontaneous Order and the Business Cycle
AbstractA distinction is often made in F. A. Hayek's oeuvre between his earlier inquiries into the theory of capital and the business cycle and his later work on social philosophy and spontaneous economic order. This paper argues that these phases are based on two different, and basically incompatible, research paradigms--general equilibrium versus the dynamics of learning and expectation formation. Apparently running into troubles with his general equilibrium approach, Hayek abandoned business cycle research and never attempted to integrate it with his later thought. The paper therefore reconsiders the role of cyclical economic fluctuations within a theory of spontaneous economic order. Copyright 1997 by Scottish Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Scottish Economic Society in its journal Scottish Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 44 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0036-9292
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- G. R. Steele, 2005. "Psychology, social evolution and liberalism: a Hayekian trinity," Review of Political Economy, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 571-586.
- van den Hauwe, Ludwig, 2006. "Review of Huerta de Soto´s `Money, Bank Credit, and Economic Cycles´," MPRA Paper 49, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wagner, Richard E., 2012. "A macro economy as an ecology of plans," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 433-444.
- Elias Khalil, 1997. "Friedrich Hayek's Theory of Spontaneous Order: Two Problems," Constitutional Political Economy, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 301-317, December.
- Dostaler, Gilles, 2001. "La genèse et l’évolution de la théorie des cycles de Hayek," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 77(2), pages 207-230, juin.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.