Financing Choice and Liability Structure of Real Estate Investment Trusts
AbstractWe conduct an analysis of public financial offerings of equity Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs), with a focus on liability structure effects and whether or not firms target longer-run debt ratios. Our major findings are that (1) proceeds from equity offers are more likely to fund investment, whereas public debt offer proceeds are typically used to reconfigure the liability structure of the firm; (2) public debt issuers are often capital constrained and target total leverage ratios to retain an investment grade credit rating; and (3) the preoffer liability structure affects the issuance choice decision, in that firms with higher preoffer levels of secured (unsecured) debt tend to issue equity (public debt). Other notable findings are that the market for public REIT debt is integrated with the broader debt markets and that higher credit quality firms issue longer-maturing bonds. Copyright 2003 by the American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association in its journal Real Estate Economics.
Volume (Year): 31 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (09)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, 1309 East Tenth Street, Suite 738, Bloomington, Indiana 47405
Phone: (812) 855-7794
Fax: (812) 855-8679
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1080-8620
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Qiang Li & Hua Sun & Seow Ong, 2006. "REIT Splits and Dividend Changes: Tests of Signaling and Information Substitutability," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 127-150, September.
- Mamoru Nagano, 2013.
"Real Estate Securitization and the Debt Maturity Structure: Evidence from J-REITs,"
International Real Estate Review,
Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 16(3), pages 252-273.
- Mamoru, Nagano, 2009. "Real Estate Securitization and the Debt Maturity Structure: Evidence from J-REIT," MPRA Paper 24581, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Sep 2010.
- Zhilan Feng & Chinmoy Ghosh & C. Sirmans, 2007. "On the Capital Structure of Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs)," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 81-105, January.
- Jamie Alcock & Eva Steiner & Kelvin Tan, 2014. "Joint Leverage and Maturity Choices in Real Estate Firms: The Role of the REIT Status," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 48(1), pages 57-78, January.
- Matthew Hill & G. Kelly & William Hardin, 2012. "Market Value of REIT Liquidity," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 45(2), pages 383-401, August.
- Isil Erol & Dogan Tirtiroglu, 2011. "Concentrated Ownership, No Dividend Payout Requirement and Capital Structure of REITs: Evidence from Turkey," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 174-204, July.
- Hohenstatt, Ralf & Steininger, Bertram, 2011. "The rat race of capital structure research for REITs and REOCs: Two spotlights on leverage," ZEW Discussion Papers 11-077, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Seow Ong & Joseph Ooi & Yuichiro Kawaguichi, 2011. "Seasoned Equity Issuance by Japan and Singapore REITs," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 205-220, July.
- Michael J. Highfield & Kenneth D. Roskelley & Fang Zhao, 2007. "The Determinants of the Debt Maturity Decision for Real Estate Investment Trusts," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 29(2), pages 173-200.
- Joseph Ooi & Seow-Eng Ong & Lin Li, 2010. "An Analysis of the Financing Decisions of REITs: The Role of Market Timing and Target Leverage," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 130-160, February.
- Gyamfi-Yeboah, Frank & Ling, David C. & Naranjo, Andy, 2012. "Information, uncertainty, and behavioral effects: Evidence from abnormal returns around real estate investment trust earnings announcements," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1930-1952.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.