The Effects of Trade Unions on the Distribution of Earnings: A Sample Selectivity Approach
AbstractUsing individual microdata from six British local labor markets in 1986 containing information on both union membership and recognition the paper examines the influence of trade unions on both moments of the earnings distribution. The problem of sample selection and its impact on the estimated union wage differential is investigated. Finally the effect of union legislation on the union-mark-up is examined by comparison of the 1986 results with those of a similar study for 1975. There is evidence for both a positive wage mark-up and a reduction in earnings variability in the union sector. Further manual males do not appear to have fared as well as non-manual males between 1975 and 1986. Copyright 1992 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Oxford in its journal Oxford Bulletin of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 54 (1992)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manor Rd. Building, Oxford, OX1 3UQ
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0305-9049
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lanot, Gauthier & Walker, Ian, 1998.
"The union/non-union wage differential: An application of semi-parametric methods,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 327-349, June.
- Gauthier Lanot & Ian Walker, 1996. "The Union/Non-Union Wage Differential: An Application of Semi-Parametric Methods," Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001) 96/9, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Lanot, G. & Walker, I., 1993. "The Union/Non-Union Wage Differential: an Application of Semi-Parametric Methods," Papers 9337, Laval - Recherche en Politique Economique.
- Jorge Saba Arbache, 1999. "Trade Liberalisation and Insider Power: The Case of Brazil," Studies in Economics 9902, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.