Testing the Fit of a Vector Autoregressive Moving Average Model
AbstractA new procedure for testing the fit of multivariate time series model is proposed. The method evaluates in a certain way the closeness of the sample spectral density matrix of the observed process to the spectral density matrix of the parametric model postulated under the null and uses for this purpose nonparametric estimation techniques. The asymptotic distribution of the test statistic is established and an alternative, bootstrap-based method is developed in order to estimate more accurately this distribution under the null hypothesis. Goodness-of-fit diagnostics useful in understanding the test results and identifying sources of model inadequacy are introduced. The applicability of the testing procedure and its capability to detect lacks of fit is demonstrated by means of some real data examples. Copyright 2005 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Time Series Analysis.
Volume (Year): 26 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0143-9782
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- McElroy, Tucker & Holan, Scott, 2009. "A local spectral approach for assessing time series model misspecification," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(4), pages 604-621, April.
- Poulin, Jennifer & Duchesne, Pierre, 2008. "On the power transformation of kernel-based tests for serial correlation in vector time series: Some finite sample results and a comparison with the bootstrap," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(9), pages 4432-4457, May.
- Eichler, Michael, 2008. "Testing nonparametric and semiparametric hypotheses in vector stationary processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(5), pages 968-1009, May.
- Bruggemann, Ralf & Lutkepohl, Helmut & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2006.
"Residual autocorrelation testing for vector error correction models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 579-604, October.
- Ralf BRUEGGEMANN & Helmut LUETKEPOHL & Pentti SAIKKONEN, 2004. "Residual Autocorrelation Testing for Vector Error Correction Models," Economics Working Papers ECO2004/08, European University Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.