Asymmetric adjustment and smooth transitions: a combination of some unit root tests
AbstractConventional Dickey-Fuller unit root tests have been generalized to allow for nonlinearity under the alternative hypothesis by Enders and Granger [Journal of Business Economics and Statistics, 16 (1998) 304] (EG) and Leybourne, Newbold and Vougas [Journal of Time Series Analysis, 19 (1998) 83] (LNV). EG focus on the case of asymmetric adjustment modelled as threshold autoregression, while LNV extend the concept of trend stationarity to that of stationarity around a smooth transition between deterministic linear trends. In this study, the EG and LNV methodologies are combined to develop tests of the null hypothesis of a unit root, that under the alternative hypothesis allow for stationary asymmetric adjustment around a smooth transition between deterministic linear trends. The empirical power of the combined tests is briefly investigated and an empirical application to time series on aggregate industrial production in the UK and the US is considered. Copyright 2004 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Time Series Analysis.
Volume (Year): 25 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (05)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0143-9782
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Omay, Tolga, 2012. "The comparison of optimization algorithms on unit root testing with smooth transition," MPRA Paper 42129, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hasanov, Mübariz & Telatar, Erdinc, 2011. "A re-examination of stationarity of energy consumption: Evidence from new unit root tests," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(12), pages 7726-7738.
- Russell Smyth, 2012.
"Are fluctuations in energy variables permanent or transitory? A survey of the literature on the integration properties of energy consumption and production,"
Monash Economics Working Papers
04-12, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Smyth, Russell, 2013. "Are fluctuations in energy variables permanent or transitory? A survey of the literature on the integration properties of energy consumption and production," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 371-378.
- Mubariz Hasanov & Aysen Arac & Funda Telatar, 2012.
"Nonlinearity and Structural Stability in the Phillips Curve: Evidence from Turkey,"
Hacettepe University Department of Economics Working Papers
20123, Hacettepe University, Department of Economics.
- Hasanov, Mübariz & Araç, Aysen & Telatar, Funda, 2010. "Nonlinearity and structural stability in the Phillips curve: Evidence from Turkey," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1103-1115, September.
- Pelin Oge Guney & Erdinc Telatar & Mubariz Hasanov, 2012. "Time Series Behaviour of the Real Interest Rates in Transition Economies," Hacettepe University Department of Economics Working Papers 20125, Hacettepe University, Department of Economics.
- Mubariz Hasanov, 2012. "Re-examining Purchasing Power Parity for the Australian Real Exchange Rate," Hacettepe University Department of Economics Working Papers 20124, Hacettepe University, Department of Economics.
- Antonio E. Noriega & Cid Alonso Rodríguez-Pérez, 2011. "Stationarity, structural breaks, and economic growth in Mexico: 1895-2008," Working Papers 2011-11, Banco de México.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Tiwari, Aviral Kumar & Khan, Saleheen, 2012. "Is Energy Consumption Per Capita Stationary? Evidence from First and Second Generation Panel Unit Root Tests," MPRA Paper 41607, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 27 Sep 2012.
- Landajo, Manuel & Presno, María José, 2010. "Nonparametric pseudo-Lagrange multiplier stationarity testing," MPRA Paper 25659, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.