Capital Subsidies and their Impact on Total Factor Productivity: Firm-Level Evidence from Northern Ireland
AbstractManufacturing industry in Northern Ireland receives extensive financial support from government with the objective of improving the economic performance of the plants that are directly assisted. Many studies have tried to assess the impact of such assistance, but without the counterfactual evidence it is difficult to ascertain whether or not such support does improve performance. The aim of this paper is to use a unique matched data set to establish if such assistance has made a difference to total factor productivity in Northern Ireland manufacturing plants. Copyright Blackwell Publishers, 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 45 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-4146
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Antonio Garcia-Tabuenca & Jose L. Crespo-Espert & Federico Pablo-Marti, 2011. "Women, Entrepreneurial Activity And Territory: Differences Or Myths?," ERSA conference papers ersa10p1465, European Regional Science Association.
- Obeng, K. & Sakano, R., 2008. "Public transit subsidies, output effect and total factor productivity," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 85-98, January.
- Atzeni, Gianfranco E. & Carboni, Oliviero A., 2008. "The effects of grant policy on technology investment in Italy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 381-399.
- Marián Dinga & Vilma Dingová, 2011. "Currency Union and Investment Flows: Estimating the Euro Effect on FDI," Working Papers IES 2011/25, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Jul 2011.
- Rohan Chindooroy & Patrice Muller & Giovanni Notaro, 2007. "Company survival following rescue and restructuring State aid," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 165-186, October.
- Minjia Chen & Alessandra Guariglia, . "Financial constraints and firm productivity in China: do liquidity and export behavior make a difference?," Discussion Papers 11/09, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Antonio Garcia-Tabuenca & Jose Crespo-Espert, 2010. "Credit guarantees and SME efficiency," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 35(1), pages 113-128, July.
- Dinga, Marián & Münich, Daniel, 2010. "The impact of territorially concentrated FDI on local labor markets: Evidence from the Czech Republic," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 354-367, April.
- Michalek, Jerzy & Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis, 2013.
"Firm-Level Evidence Of Deadweight Loss Of Investment Support Policies: A Case Study Of Dairy Farms In Schleswig-Holstein,"
Proceedings Issues, 2013: Productivity and Its Impacts on Global Trade, June 2-4, 2013. Seville, Spain
152257, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Michalek, Jerzy & Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis, 2013. "Firm-Level Evidence of Deadweight Loss of Investment Support Policies: A Case Study of Dairy Farms in Schleswig-Holstein," Proceedings Issues, 2013: Productivity and Its Impacts on Global Trade, June 2-4, 2013. Seville, Spain 152258, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Raffaello Bronzini & Guido De Blasio, 2005. "Evaluating the impact of investment incentives - the case of the Italian Law 488," ERSA conference papers ersa05p649, European Regional Science Association.
- Zhu, Xueqin & Demeter, Robert Milan & Oude Lansink, Alfons G.J.M., 2008. "Competitiveness of dairy farms in three countries: the role of CAP subsidies," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 44143, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Guido Pellegrini & Augusto Cerqua, 2011. "Are the subsidies to private capital useful? A Multiple Regression Discontinuity Design Approach1," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1323, European Regional Science Association.
- Ankarheim, Mattias & Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Quoreshi, Shahiduzzaman & Rudholm, Niklas, 2009.
"Do Regional Investment Grants Improve Firm Performance? Evidence from Sweden,"
Working Papers in Economics
04/09, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Ankarhem , Mattias & Daunfeldt , Sven-Olov & Quoreshi, Shahiduzzaman & Rudholm, Niklas, 2009. "Do Regional Investment Grants Improve Firm Performance? - Evidence from Sweden," HUI Working Papers 24, HUI Research.
- Ankarhem, Mattias & Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Quoreshi, Shahiduzzaman & Rudholm, Niklas, 2009. "Do Regional Investment Grants Improve Firm Performance? Evidence from Sweden," Ratio Working Papers 137, The Ratio Institute.
- Bernini, Cristina & Pellegrini, Guido, 2011. "How are growth and productivity in private firms affected by public subsidy? Evidence from a regional policy," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 253-265, May.
- Mariasole BannÃ² & Marika Vezzoli & Maurizio Carpita, 2011. "Disentangling the Innovation - Internalization Process Through a Structural Equation Model," ERSA conference papers ersa11p195, European Regional Science Association.
- Garduno-Rivera, Rafael, 2010. "Effect of NAFTA on Mexico's Income Distribution in the Presence of Migration," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61895, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.