Uncertainty and sensitivity analysis techniques as tools for the quality assessment of composite indicators
AbstractComposite indicators are increasingly used for bench-marking countries' performances. Yet doubts are often raised about the robustness of the resulting countries' rankings and about the significance of the associated policy message. We propose the use of uncertainty analysis and sensitivity analysis to gain useful insights during the process of building composite indicators, including a contribution to the indicators' definition of quality and an assessment of the reliability of countries' rankings. We discuss to what extent the use of uncertainty and sensitivity analysis may increase transparency or make policy inference more defensible by applying the methodology to a known composite indicator: the United Nations's technology achievement index. Copyright 2005 Royal Statistical Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Statistical Society in its journal Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A.
Volume (Year): 168 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 12 Errol Street, London EC1Y 8LX, United Kingdom
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0964-1998
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Plischke, Elmar & Borgonovo, Emanuele & Smith, Curtis L., 2013. "Global sensitivity measures from given data," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(3), pages 536-550.
- Tangian, Andranik, 2007. "Is work in Europe decent? A study based on the 4th European survey of working conditions 2005," WSI Discussion Papers 157, Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaftliches Institut (WSI), Hans-Böckler-Stiftung.
- Monica Benito & Rosario Romera, 2011. "Improving quality assessment of composite indicators in university rankings: a case study of French and German universities of excellence," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws112015, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Cristina Bernini & Andrea Guizzardi & Giovanni Angelini, 2013. "DEA-Like Model and Common Weights Approach for the Construction of a Subjective Community Well-Being Indicator," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 114(2), pages 405-424, November.
- Athanassoglou, Stergios, 2013. "Multidimensional welfare rankings," MPRA Paper 51642, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Riccardo Natoli & Segu Zuhair, 2010. "Establishing the RIE index: a review of the components critical to progress measurement," International Journal of Social Economics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(8), pages 574-591, July.
- Nuno Boavida, 2011. "How composite indicators of innovation can influence technology policy decision?," IET Working Papers Series 03/2011, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, IET/CESNOVA-Research on Enterprise and Work Innovation, Faculty of Science and Technology.
- Bryony Hoskins & Massimiliano Mascherini, 2009. "Measuring Active Citizenship through the Development of a Composite Indicator," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 90(3), pages 459-488, February.
- Laurens Cherchye & Wim Moesen & Nicky Rogge & Tom Van Puyenbroeck & Michaela Saisana & A. Saltelli & R. Liska & S. Tarantola, 2006. "Creating Composite Indicators with DEA and Robustness Analysis: the case of the Technology Achievement Index," Public Economics Working Paper Series ces0613, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Van den Bossche, Filip & Rogge, Nicky & Devooght, Kurt & Van Puyenbroeck , Tom, 2009. "Robust CSR Investment Screening," Working Papers 2009/05, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Arika Ligmann-Zielinska & Piotr Jankowski, 2012. "Impact of proximity-adjusted preferences on rank-order stability in geographical multicriteria decision analysis," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 167-187, April.
- Laurens Cherchye & Knox Lovell & Wim Moesen & Tom Van Puyenbroeck, 2005.
"One Market, One Number? A Composite Indicator Assessment of EU Internal Market Dynamics,"
Public Economics Working Paper Series
ces0513, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Cherchye, Laurens & Knox Lovell, C.A. & Moesen, Wim & Van Puyenbroeck, Tom, 2007. "One market, one number? A composite indicator assessment of EU internal market dynamics," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 749-779, April.
- Tangian, Andranik S., 2007. "Is flexible work precarious? A study based on the 4th European survey of working conditions 2005," WSI Discussion Papers 153, Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaftliches Institut (WSI), Hans-Böckler-Stiftung.
- Riccardo Natoli & Segu Zuhair, 2011. "Measuring Progress: A Comparison of the GDP, HDI, GS and the RIE," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 103(1), pages 33-56, August.
- P. Zhou & B. Ang, 2009. "Comparing MCDA Aggregation Methods in Constructing Composite Indicators Using the Shannon-Spearman Measure," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 94(1), pages 83-96, October.
- Antonella D'Agostino & Stefania Fruzzetti & Giulio Ghellini & Laura Neri, 2011. "Measures for Ph.D. Evaluation: the Recruitment Process," Department of Economics University of Siena 619, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Cohen, Alasdair & Sullivan, Caroline A., 2010. "Water and poverty in rural China: Developing an instrument to assess the multiple dimensions of water and poverty," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(5), pages 999-1009, March.
- P. Zhou & B. Ang & D. Zhou, 2010. "Weighting and Aggregation in Composite Indicator Construction: a Multiplicative Optimization Approach," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 96(1), pages 169-181, March.
- Andrea Saltelli, 2007. "Composite Indicators between Analysis and Advocacy," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 81(1), pages 65-77, March.
- Hatefi, S.M. & Torabi, S.A., 2010. "A common weight MCDA-DEA approach to construct composite indicators," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 114-120, November.
- Zhou, P. & Ang, B.W. & Poh, K.L., 2007. "A mathematical programming approach to constructing composite indicators," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 291-297, April.
- Van den Bossche, Filip & Rogge, Nicky & Devooght, Kurt & Van Puyenbroeck, Tom, 2010. "Robust Corporate Social Responsibility investment screening," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(5), pages 1159-1169, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.