Competition in European Aviation: Pricing Policy and Market Structure
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to analyze the impact of liberal bilateral agreements on some European air routes in terms of price competition and market structure. The author proposes a model that explains firms' behavior and shows that, after the liberalization, firms exploit their cost advantages and differentiate their products more but market structure still depends on access to airport facilities and other ancillary services controlled by the flag carriers. These results differ from American evidence in that the author finds that the effect of airport presence on prices through lower costs more than offsets the effect through higher perceived quality. Copyright 1995 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Industrial Economics.
Volume (Year): 43 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-1821
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Damien J. Neven & Lars-Hendrik Röller & Zhentang Zhang, 2002. "Endogenous Costs and Price-Cost Margins," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 294, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Gagnepain, Philippe & Marín, Pedro L. [marin], .
"Regulation and Incentives in European Aviation,"
Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
info:hdl:10016/5041, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Philippe Gagnepain & Pedro Marin, 2006. "Regulation and Incentives in European Aviation," Post-Print hal-00622844, HAL.
- Gagnepain, Philippe & Marín Uribe, Pedro Luis, 2004. "Regulation and Incentives in European Aviation," CEPR Discussion Papers 4318, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gagnepain, Philippe & Marín, Pedro L., . "Regulation and Incentives in European Aviation," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/5032, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Manuela, Wilfred Jr., 2007. "Airline liberalization effects on fare: The case of the Philippines," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 161-167, February.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2010.
"Scheduled service versus personal transportation: The role of distance,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 60-72, January.
- Volodymir BilotKach & Xavier Fageda & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2009. "Scheduled service versus personal transportation: the role of distance," Working Papers 2009-10, FEDEA.
- Bilotkach, Volodymyr & Fageda, Xavier & Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2009. "Scheduled Service Versus Personal Transportation: The Role of Distance," Working Papers 2072/15846, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Volodymyr Bilotkach & Xavier Fageda & Ricardo Flores-Fillol, 2008. "Scheduled service versus personal transportation: the role of distance," Working Papers XREAP2008-13, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Dec 2008.
- Oliveira, Alessandro V.M, 2003. "The Impacts Of Liberalisation On A Brazilian Air Shuttle Market," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 676, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Carlsson, Fredrik, 2002. "Price and Frequency Choice under Monopoly and Competition in Aviation Markets," Working Papers in Economics 71, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Xavier Fageda, 2006.
"Measuring Conduct and Cost Parameters in the Spanish Airline Market,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 379-399, June.
- Xavier Fageda, 2005. "Measuring Conduct And Cost Parameters In The Spanish Airline Market," Industrial Organization 0511011, EconWPA.
- Gagnepain, Philippe & Marín Uribe, Pedro Luis, 2005.
"Alliances in the Air: Some Worldwide Evidence,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5063, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gagnepain, Philippe & Marín, Pedro L. [marin], . "Alliances in the Air: Some Worldwide Evidence," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/5045, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Pedro L Marin, 1995. "The Remains of Regulation: Airlines Profits After Liberalization," STICERD - Economics of Industry Papers 12, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.