Stock Prices and Inflation
AbstractNumerous empirical studies establish that inflation has a negative short-run effect on stock returns but few studies report a positive, long-run Fisher effect for stock returns. Using stock price and goods price data from six industrial countries, our empirical results show that long-run Fisher elasticities of stock prices with respect to goods prices exceed unity and are in the range of 1.04 to 1.65, which tend to support the Fisher effect. We also find that the time path of the response of stock prices to a shock in goods prices exhibits an initial negative response which turns positive over longer horizons. These results help to reconcile previous short-run and long-run empirical evidence on stock returns and inflation. Also, they reveal that stock prices have a long memory with respect to inflation shocks, such that investors should expect stocks to be a good inflation hedge over a long holding period.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association in its journal Journal of Financial Research.
Volume (Year): 24 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0270-2592
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- GIOT, Pierre & PETITJEAN, Mikael, 2006.
"The information content of the Bond-Equity Yield Ratio: better than a random walk?,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2006089, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Giot, Pierre & Petitjean, Mikael, 2007. "The information content of the Bond-Equity Yield Ratio: Better than a random walk?," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 289-305.
- Tobias Basse & Sebastian Reddemann, 2010. "Variable-ordering induced problems of impulse-response analysis and other difficulties: the dividend policy of Austrian firms," International Journal of Computational Economics and Econometrics, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(3/4), pages 278-293.
- Adam, Anokye M. & Tweneboah, George, 2008. "Macroeconomic Factors and Stock Market Movement: Evidence from Ghana," MPRA Paper 11256, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gregoriou, Andros & Kontonikas, Alexandros, 2008.
"The long run relationship between stock prices and goods prices: new evidence from panel cointegration,"
SIRE Discussion Papers
2008-32, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Gregoriou, Andros & Kontonikas, Alexandros, 2010. "The long-run relationship between stock prices and goods prices: New evidence from panel cointegration," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 166-176, April.
- Andros Gregoriou & Alexandros Kontonikas, . "The Long Run Relationship Between Stock Prices And Goods Prices: New Evidence From Panel Cointegration," Working Papers 2008_19, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Alain Durré & Pierre Giot, 2005.
"An international analysis of earnings, stock prices and bond yields,"
Working Paper Research
73, National Bank of Belgium.
- Alain Durré & Pierre Giot, 2007. "An International Analysis of Earnings, Stock Prices and Bond Yields," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3-4), pages 613-641.
- Durré, Alain & Giot, Pierre, 2005. "An international analysis of earnings, stock prices and bond yields," Working Paper Series 0515, European Central Bank.
- DURRE, Alain & GIOT, Pierre, . "An international analysis of earnings, stock prices and Bond yields," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1984, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Díaz, Antonio & Jareño, Francisco, 2009. "Explanatory factors of the inflation news impact on stock returns by sector: The Spanish case," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 349-368, September.
- Rushdi, Mustabshira & Kim, Jae H. & Silvapulle, Param, 2012. "ARDL bounds tests and robust inference for the long run relationship between real stock returns and inflation in Australia," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 535-543.
- Lee, King Fuei, 2011. "Demographics and the Long-Horizon Returns of Dividend-Yield Strategies in the US," MPRA Paper 46350, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paul Alagidede & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010.
"Can Common Stocks Provide A Hedge Against Inflation? Evidence from African Countries,"
KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers
1022, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Alagidede, Paul & Panagiotidis, Theodore, 2010. "Can common stocks provide a hedge against inflation? Evidence from African countries," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 91-100, August.
- Paul Alagidede & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "Can Common Stocks Provide A Hedge Against Inflation? Evidence from African Countries," Working Paper Series 06_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Paul Alagidede & Theodore Panagiotidis, 2010. "Can Common Stocks Provide A Hedge Against Inflation? Evidence from African Countries," Discussion Paper Series 2010_06, Department of Economics, University of Macedonia, revised Apr 2010.
- Alagidede, Paul & Panagiotidis, Theodore, 2010. "Can Common Stocks Provide A Hedge Against Inflation? Evidence from African Countries," Stirling Economics Discussion Papers 2010-07, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Li, Lifang & Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Zheng, Xinwei, 2010. "An analysis of inflation and stock returns for the UK," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 519-532, December.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Islam, Faridul, 2010. "Stocks as Hedge against Inflation in Pakistan: Evidence from ARDL Approach," MPRA Paper 30970, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Mar 2011.
- repec:tru:umkeip:2012:v3:p:153-167 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dimitrios Subeniotis & Dimitrios Papadopoulos & Ioannis Tampakoudis & Athina Tampakoudi, 2011. "How Inflation, Market Capitalization, Industrial Production and the Economic Sentiment Indicator Affect the EU-12 Stock Markets," European Research Studies Journal, European Research Studies Journal, vol. 0(1), pages 105-120.
- Piotr Fiszeder, Sebastian Rowiñski, 2012. "Modeling relations between selected macroeconomic processes and the Warsaw Stock Exchange index," Ekonomia i Prawo, Wydawnictwo Naukowe Uniwersytetu Mikolaja Kopernika, vol. 3, pages 153-167.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.