Presidential Address: Do Financial Institutions Matter?
AbstractIn standard asset pricing theory, investors are assumed to invest directly in financial markets. The role of financial institutions is ignored. The focus in corporate finance is on agency problems. How do you ensure that managers act in shareholders' interests? There is an inconsistency in assuming that when you give your money to a financial institution there is no agency problem, but when you give it to a firm there is. It is argued that both areas need to take proper account of the role of financial institutions and markets. Appropriate concepts for analyzing particular situations should be used. Copyright The American Finance Association 2001.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal The Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 56 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 (08)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Scotti, Massimo, 2012. "Delegated portfolio management with career concerns," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 84(3), pages 829-839.
- Tian, Lihui, 2011. "Regulatory underpricing: Determinants of Chinese extreme IPO returns," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 78-90, January.
- Shahid Ebrahim, M. & Hussain, Sikandar, 2010. "Financial development and asset valuation: The special case of real estate," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 150-162, January.
- Demid Golikov, 2005. "Financial Intermediary In Monetary Economics: An Excerpt," Macroeconomics 0510018, EconWPA.
- Richard Green & Robert Mariano & Andrey Pavlov & Susan Wachter, 2009.
"Misaligned Incentives and Mortgage Lending in Asia,"
Microeconomics Working Papers
22422, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Richard Green & Roberto Mariano & Andrey Pavlov & Susan Wachter, 2009. "Misaligned Incentives and Mortgage Lending in Asia," NBER Chapters, in: Financial Sector Development in the Pacific Rim, East Asia Seminar on Economics, Volume 18, pages 95-111 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberto S. Mariano, 2009. "Misaligned Incentives and Mortgage Lending in Asia," Working Papers 07-2009, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Winston T. H. Koh & Roberto S. Mariano & Andrey Pavlov & Sock Yong Phang & Augustine H. H. Tan & Susan M. Wachter, 2006.
"Underpriced Default Spread Exacerbates Market Crashes,"
12-2006, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Winston T.H. Koh & Roberto S. Mariano & Andrey Pavlovb & Sock Yong Phang & Augustine H. H. Tan & Susan M. Wachter, 2006. "Underpriced Default Spread Exacerbates Market Crashes," Finance Working Papers 22458, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Cuoco, Domenico & Kaniel, Ron, 2011. "Equilibrium prices in the presence of delegated portfolio management," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(2), pages 264-296, August.
- Qin Xiao & Randolph Gee Kwang Tan, 2006. "Signal Extraction with Kalman Filter: A Study of the Hong Kong Property Price Bubbles," Economic Growth centre Working Paper Series 0601, Nanyang Technolgical University, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Economic Growth centre.
- Aggarwal, Raj & Goodell, John W., 2010. "Financial markets versus institutions in European countries: Influence of culture and other national characteristics," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 502-520, October.
- Nohel, Tom & Todd, Steven, 2005. "Compensation for managers with career concerns: the role of stock options in optimal contracts," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 229-251, March.
- Andrey Pavlov & Susan Wachter, 2009. "Mortgage Put Options and Real Estate Markets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 89-103, January.
- Allen, Franklin & Carletti, Elena, 2013. "New theories to underpin financial reform," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 242-249.
- M. Shahid Ebrahim & Seema Makhdoomi & Mustapha Sheikh, 2012. "The Political Economy and the Perennial Underdevelopment of the Muslim World," Working Papers 12011, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Antti Petajisto, 2004. "Why Do Demand Curves for Stocks Slope Down?," Yale School of Management Working Papers amz2458, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Sep 2008.
- Venezia, Itzhak & Shapira, Zur, 2007. "On the behavioral differences between professional and amateur investors after the weekend," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1417-1426, May.
- Douglas Cumming & Grant Fleming & Armin Schwienbacher, 2008. "Financial intermediaries, ownership structure and the provision of venture capital to SMEs: evidence from Japan," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 59-92, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.