The Impact of Antitakeover Amendments on Corporate Financial Performance
AbstractPrevious event studies that examine the impact of antitakeover amendments on the firm value provide mixed results. Some studies support the management entrenchment hypothesis, while others support the shareholder interest hypothesis. In this study, a longitudinal approach is used to examine the impact of antitakeover amendments on several financial attributes of the firm including: operating and net income to total assets, operating and overhead expenses to sales, research and development to total sales, capital expenditures to sales, and debt relative to total assets. It is concluded that antitakeover amendments are not deleterious in terms of their impact on various fundamental firm performance measures. Copyright 1997 by MIT Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Eastern Finance Association in its journal The Financial Review.
Volume (Year): 32 (1997)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Belloc, Filippo, 2010. "Corporate governance and innovation: an organizational perspective," MPRA Paper 21495, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bebchuk, Lucian A. & Cohen, Alma, 2005.
"The costs of entrenched boards,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 409-433, November.
- Lucian Bebchuk & Alma Cohen, 2004. "The Costs of Entrenched Boards," NBER Working Papers 10587, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucian Bebchuk, . "The Costs of Entrenched Boards," American Law & Economics Association Annual Meetings 1091, American Law & Economics Association.
- Rose, Caspar, 2001. "Corporate Financial Performance and the Use of Takeover Defenses," Working Papers 2001-4, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Finance.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, 2002.
"The Financing of Research and Development,"
NBER Working Papers
8773, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, 2003. "The Financing of Research and Development," Finance 0303003, EconWPA.
- Hall, Bronwyn, 2002. "The Financing of Research and Development," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt5rf0x9gz, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Hall, Bronwyn H., 2002. "The Financing of Research and Development," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt34c1c643, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Rose, Caspar, 2005. "Takeover Defenses' Influence on Managerial Incentives," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 556-577, December.
- Caspar Rose, 2002. "Corporate Financial Performance and the Use of Takeover Defenses," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 91-112, March.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Josh Lerner, 2009.
"The Financing of R&D and Innovation,"
NBER Working Papers
15325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juan Santalo & Carl Kock, 2005. "Corporate governance & the environment: bad discretion, good discretion, and environmental (...)," Working Papers Economia wp05-24, Instituto de Empresa, Area of Economic Environment.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.