Robust International Comparisons of Distributions of Disposable Income and Regional Public Goods
AbstractThe paper provides robust normative comparisons of 12 OECD countries based on their distributions of disposable income and access to two regional public goods: infant mortality and pupil-teacher ratios at public schools. Comparisons are performed using two and three-dimensional dominance criteria that coincide with the unanimity of utilitarian judgments taken over specific classes of utility functions. The criteria succeed in ranking conclusively about 30% of all possible comparisons in the two-dimensional case, compared with 67% for one-dimensional income-based comparisons and 6% for three-dimensional ones. Introducing local public goods seems to worsen the relative standing of Anglo-Saxon countries. Copyright (c) The London School of Economics and Political Science 2008.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and Political Science in its journal Economica.
Volume (Year): 76 (2009)
Issue (Month): 303 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0013-0427
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arndt, Channing & Distante, Roberta & Hussain, M. Azhar & Østerdal, Lars Peter & Huong, Pham Lan & Ibraimo, Maimuna, 2012.
"Ordinal Welfare Comparisons with Multiple Discrete Indicators: A First Order Dominance Approach and Application to Child Poverty,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(11), pages 2290-2301.
- Arndt, Channing & Distante, Roberta & Hussain, M. Azhar & Osterdal, Lars Peter & Huong, Pham Lan, 2012. "Ordinal Welfare Comparisons with Multiple Discrete Indicators:A First Order Dominance Approach and Application to Child Poverty," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Channing Arndt & Roberta Distante & M. Azhar Hussain & Lars Peter Østerdal & Pham Lan Huong & Maimuna Ibraimo, 2011. "Ordinal Welfare Comparisons with Multiple Discrete Indicators: A First Order Dominance Approach and Application to Child Poverty," Discussion Papers 11-13, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Gravel, Nicolas & Moyes, Patrick, 2012.
"Ethically robust comparisons of bidimensional distributions with an ordinal attribute,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 147(4), pages 1384-1426.
- Patrick MOYES (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113) & Nicolas GRAVEL (Aix-Marseille University and AMSE (GREQAM)), 2011. "Ethically Robust Comparisons of Bidimensional Distributions with an Ordinal Attribute," Cahiers du GREThA 2011-36, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Nicolas Gravel, 2007.
"Is India Better off Today Than 15 Years Ago? A Robust Multidimensional Answer,"
- Nicolas Gravel & Abhiroop Mukhopadhyay, 2010. "Is India better off today than 15 years ago? A robust multidimensional answer," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 173-195, June.
- Nicolas Gravel & Abhiroop Mukhopadhyay, 2007. "Is India Better off Today than 15 Years ago? A Robust Multidimensional Answer," IDEP Working Papers 0704, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised 18 May 2007.
- N. GRAVEL & Patrick MOYES (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113), 2008. "Bidimensional Inequalities with an Ordinal Variable," Cahiers du GREThA 2008-14, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Patrick MOYES (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113), 2009. "Measuring Economic Inequalities (In French)," Cahiers du GREThA 2009-06, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Nicolas Gravel & Benoit Tarroux, 2008. "Robust Normative Comparisons of Socially Risky Situations," IDEP Working Papers 0806, Institut d'economie publique (IDEP), Marseille, France, revised 15 Oct 2008.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.