Assessing The Efficiency Of Public Schools Using Data Envelopment Analysis And Frontier Regression
Abstract"The cost efficiency of 520 New York school districts is measured using data envelopment analysis and stochastic frontier regression. Mean inefficiency is 14% using either method, and the rank order correlation coefficient of inefficiency between the two methods is 86. The three largest school districts (Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse) are among the most efficient. Student test scores are output variables, and socioeconomic control variables are included to adjust for the harshness of the educational environment in which districts operate. (JEL" C29, C61, 121) Copyright 1999 Western Economic Association International.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Contemporary Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 17 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 (07)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 18830 Brookhurst Street, Suite 304, Fountain Valley, CA 92708 USA
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=1074-3529
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C29 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Other
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ligia Melo B., .
"Impacto de la Descentralización Fiscal sobre la Educación Pública Colombiana,"
Borradores de Economia
350, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Ligia Melo Becerra, 2005. "Impacto De La Descentralización Fiscal Sobre La Educación Pública Colombiana," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002802, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:9:y:2007:i:9:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ligia Melo B. & Nestor Espinosa, .
"Ineficiencia en la Distribución de Energía Eléctrica: Una Aplicación de las Funciones de Distancia Estocástica,"
Borradores de Economia
321, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Ligia Melo & Néstor Espinosa, 2005. "Ineficiencia en la distribución de energía eléctrica: una aplicación de las funciones de distancia estocástica," ENSAYOS SOBRE POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA - ESPE.
- Ligia Melo B. & Néstor Espinosa, 2004. "Ineficiencia En La Distribución De Energía Eléctrica: Una Aplicación De Las Funciones De Distancia Estocástica," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 002843, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Todd Nesbit & Joseph Palardy, 2007. "Traditional public schools versus charter schools: a comparison of technical efficiency," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 9(9), pages 1-10.
- Christopher C. Klein, 2007. "Efficiency versus Effectiveness: Interpreting Education Production Studies," Working Papers 200703, Middle Tennessee State University, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Welde, Morten & Odeck, James, 2011. "The efficiency of Norwegian road toll companies," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 162-171.
- Seijas Díaz, A., 2005. "Análisis de la eficiencia técnica en la Educación Secundaria/Tehnical efficiency in educational institutions," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 23, pages 299-322, Agosto.
- Kristof De Witte & Wim Groot & Henri?tte Maassen van den Brink, 2012. "The Efficiency of Education in Generating Literacy: A Stochastic Frontier Approach," Review of Economics & Finance, Better Advances Press, Canada, vol. 2, pages 25-37, February.
- Conroy, Stephen J. & Arguea, Nestor M., 2008. "An estimation of technical efficiency for Florida public elementary schools," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 655-663, December.
- Guesmi, Bouali & Serra, Teresa & Featherstone, Allen M., 2013. "Technical efficiency of Kansas arable crop farms: a local maximum likelihood approach," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 147488, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Luo, Xueming & Donthu, Naveen, 2005. "Assessing advertising media spending inefficiencies in generating sales," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 28-36, January.
- Tommaso Agasisti & Sergio Longobardi, 2012. "Inequality in education: can Italian disadvantaged students close the gap? A focus on resilience in the Italian school system," Working Papers 2012/39, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Don U.A. Galagedera, 2004. "A Survey On Investment Performance Appraisal Methods With Special Reference To Data Envelopment Analysis," Finance 0406013, EconWPA.
- Kalyan Chakraborty & John Poggio, 2008. "Efficiency and Equity in School Funding: A Case Study for Kansas," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 228-241, May.
- Primont, Diane F. & Domazlicky, Bruce, 2006. "Student achievement and efficiency in Missouri schools and the No Child Left Behind Act," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 77-90, February.
- Odeck, James, 2008. "How efficient and productive are road toll companies?: Evidence from Norway," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 232-241, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.