Efficiency of Educational Production: An Analysis of New York School Districts
AbstractTheoretical consideration of technical efficiency has existed since Tjalling C. Koopmans (1951), which defined technical efficiency for production possibilities for which it is impossible to increase any output without simultaneously increasing any input. The nonparametric approach to efficiency estimation is based not on this definition but rather on Michael J. Farrell's (1957) index. Even after Farrell efficiency is achieved, there may exist additional slack in individual inputs, implying that Farrell efficiency doesn't measure inefficiency. To solve this problem, this paper suggests incorporating programming results into a second-stage multivariate regression analysis. For illustrative purposes, this technique is applied to analyze New York State school districts. Copyright 1996 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 78 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Duncombe, William & Yinger, John, 1998. "School Finance Reform: Aid Formulas and Equity Objectives," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, National Tax Association, vol. 51(n. 2), pages 239-62, June.
- Ruggiero, John, 2003. "Comment on estimating school efficiency," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 631-634, December.
- Ruggiero, John, 2000. "Measuring technical efficiency," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 121(1), pages 138-150, February.
- Deutsch, Joseph & Dumas, Audrey & Silber, Jacques, 2013. "Estimating an educational production function for five countries of Latin America on the basis of the PISA data," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 245-262.
- Nguyen-Hoang, Phuong & Yeung, Ryan, 2010. "What is paratransit worth?," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 44(10), pages 841-853, December.
- Rosalind Levacic & Stephen Machin & David Reynolds & Anna Vignoles & James Walker, 2000. "The Relationship between Resource Allocation and Pupil Attainment: A Review," CEE Discussion Papers, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE 0002, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Førsund, Finn R., 2013. "Measuring Efficiency and Effectiveness in the Public Sector," Memorandum, Oslo University, Department of Economics 16/2013, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Brennan, Shae & Haelermans, Carla & Ruggiero, John, 2014. "Nonparametric estimation of education productivity incorporating nondiscretionary inputs with an application to Dutch schools," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 234(3), pages 809-818.
- Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera, 2002.
"Equity and Educational Performance,"
JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA,
LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera, 2002. "Equity and Educational Performance," Documentos de Trabajo, Centro de EconomÃa Aplicada, Universidad de Chile 136, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Helen Simpson, 2009.
"Productivity In Public Services,"
Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(2), pages 250-276, 04.
- Helen Simpson, 2007. "Productivity in Public Services," The Centre for Market and Public Organisation, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK 07/164, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- De Witte, Kristof & Geys, Benny, 2012.
"Citizen coproduction and efficient public good provision: Theory and evidence from local public libraries,"
Discussion Papers, Research Professorship & Project "The Future of Fiscal Federalism", Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB)
SP II 2012-108, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- De Witte, Kristof & Geys, Benny, 2013. "Citizen coproduction and efficient public good provision: Theory and evidence from local public libraries," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 224(3), pages 592-602.
- Grosskopf, Shawna & Hayes, Kathy J. & Taylor, Lori L. & Weber, William L., 2001. "On the Determinants of School District Efficiency: Competition and Monitoring," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 453-478, May.
- CHERCHYE, Laurens & DE BORGER, Bruno & VAN PUYENBROECK, Tom, 2005.
"Nonparametric tests of optimizing behavior in public service provision: Methodology and an application to local safety,"
Working Papers, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics
2005002, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Laurens Cherchye & Bruno De Borger & Tom Van Puyenbroeck, 2004. "Nonparametric tests of optimizing behavior in public service provision: Methodology and an application to local safety," Public Economics Working Paper Series, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische StudiÃ«n, Working Group Public Economics ces0416, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Working Group Public Economics.
- Malczewski, Jacek & Jackson, Marlene, 2000. "Multicriteria spatial allocation of educational resources: an overview," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 219-235, September.
- Juho Aaltonen & Tanja Kirjavainen & Antti Moisio, 2006. "Efficiency and Productivity in Finnish Comprehensive Schooling 1998-2004," Research Reports 127, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Millimet, Daniel L. & Collier, Trevor, 2008. "Efficiency in public schools: Does competition matter?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 145(1-2), pages 134-157, July.
- Seijas Díaz, A., 2005. "Análisis de la eficiencia técnica en la Educación Secundaria/Tehnical efficiency in educational institutions," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 23, pages 299-322, Agosto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.