The Shape of the Risk Premium: Evidence from a Semiparametric Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity Model
AbstractWe examine the relationship between the risk premium on the Center for Research on Security Prices (CRSP) value-weighted index total return and its conditional variance. We propose a new semiparametric model in which the conditional variance process is parametric and the conditional mean is an arbitrary function of the conditional variance. For monthly CRSP value-weighted excess returns, the relationship between the two moments that we uncover is nonlinear and nonmonotonic.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
Volume (Year): 21 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bent Jesper Christensen & Morten Ørregaard Nielsen & Jie Zhu, 2007.
"Long Memory in Stock Market Volatility and the Volatility-in-Mean Effect: The FIEGARCH-M Model,"
CREATES Research Papers
2007-10, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Christensen, Bent Jesper & Nielsen, Morten Ørregaard & Zhu, Jie, 2010. "Long memory in stock market volatility and the volatility-in-mean effect: The FIEGARCH-M Model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 460-470, June.
- Bent Jesper Christensen & Jie Zhu & Morten Ørregaard Nielsen, 2009. "Long memory in stock market volatility and the volatility-in-mean effect: the FIEGARCH-M model," Working Papers 1207, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Christian Conrad & Enno Mammen, 2008. "Nonparametric Regression on Latent Covariates with an Application to Semiparametric GARCH-in-Mean Models," Working Papers 0473, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised Jul 2008.
- Jie Zhu, 2008. "FIEGARCH-M and and International Crises: A Cross-Country Analysis," CREATES Research Papers 2008-16, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Conrad, Christian & Loch, Karin, 2012. "Anticipating Long-Term Stock Market Volatility," Working Papers 0535, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics.
- Linton, Oliver & Sancetta, Alessio, 2009. "Consistent estimation of a general nonparametric regression function in time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 152(1), pages 70-78, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.