Modeling the ECU against the U.S. Dollar: A Structural Monetary Interpretation
AbstractThe proposal that a reformed international monetary system be designed around currency blocs has gained some popularity of late. In Europe, the formation of the Euro formalizes the existence of a DM-based currency block. Little academic research has been conducted, however, on the properties of composite currencies such as the Euro. In this article, we examine the properties of the precursor to the Euro--namely, the ECU--against the U.S. dollar using a monetary framework. The article has several novel features: our modeling strategy involves starting with underlying equilibrium conditions rather than a final reduced form; uses divisia money rather than the more conventional simple-sum money; interprets, in an economic sense, the long-run relationships: and produces an appealing forecasting performance.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Statistical Association in its journal Journal of Business and Economic Statistics.
Volume (Year): 18 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Abdul Qayyum & Muhammad Arshad Khan & Khair-U-Zaman, 2004.
"Exchange Rate Misalignment in Pakistan: Evidence from Purchasing Power Parity Theory,"
The Pakistan Development Review,
Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 43(4), pages 721-735.
- qayyum, Abdul & Khan, Arshad & Zaman, Kair-u, 2004. "Exchange Rate Misalignment in Pakistan: Evidence from Purchasing Power Parity Theory," MPRA Paper 2148, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2004.
- Altavilla, C & De Grauwe, Paul, 2005.
"Non-linearities in the relation between the exchange rate and its fundamentals,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/120956, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Carlo Altavilla & Paul De Grauwe, 2010. "Non-linearities in the relation between the exchange rate and its fundamentals," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(1), pages 1-21.
- Carlo Altavilla & Paul De Grauwe, 2005. "Non-Linearities in the Relation between the Exchange Rate and its Fundamentals," CESifo Working Paper Series 1561, CESifo Group Munich.
- A Garratt & K Lee & M Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin, 2004.
"A long run structural macroeconometric model of the UK,"
ESE Discussion Papers
35, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Anthony Garratt & Kevin Lee & M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin, 2003. "A Long run structural macroeconometric model of the UK," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(487), pages 412-455, 04.
- Garratt, A. & Lee, K. & Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1998. "A Long-run Structural Macro-econometric Model of the UK," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9812, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Ivo J.M. Arnold & Casper G. de Vries, 1999. "Endogenous Financial Structure and the Transmission of ECB Policy," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-021/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Abbott, Andrew & De Vita, Glauco, 2002. "Testing the long-run structural validity of the monetary exchange rate model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 157-164, April.
- Michael Frenkel & Isabell Koske, 2004. "How well can monetary factors explain the exchange rate of the euro?," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 32(3), pages 233-244, September.
- Lee, Chin & M., Azali & Yusop, Zulkornain & Yusoff, Mohammed, 2008. "Is Malaysia exchange rate misalignment before the 1997 crisis?," MPRA Paper 40430, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ivo J.M. Arnold & Casper G. de Vries, 1998. "The EURO, Prudent Coherence?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 98-070/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Ivo Arnold, 2003. "A Regional Analysis of German Money Demand Around Reunification with Implications for EMU," Empirica, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 63-80, March.
- Arnold, Ivo J. M. & de Vries, Casper G., 2000. "Endogeneity in European money demand," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 587-609, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.