Does the liquidity effect exist in the brazilian stock market?
AbstractThe purpose of this article is to analyze whether the liquidity effect exists in the Brazilian stock market. In addition to analyzing the liquidity effect, this article evaluated the capacity of CAPM and the Fama-French three-factor model (1993) in explaining it. For such purpose, the companies with shares traded in Bovespa were analyzed, in the period from 1995 to 2008. According to the results obtained, it can be concluded that there is a liquidity premium in the Brazilian market, regardless of the proxy used. The monthly premium varied from 0.83% to 2.19%, not adjusted for risk, and from 1.77% to 2.78%, adjusted for risk pursuant to CAPM, and from 1.24% to 3.04%, adjusted for risk according to the three-factor model, respectively. It was also observed that the liquidity premium was not restricted to the month of January, and that there were no substantial modifications when different periods were used in the analysis. In view of such evidence, the hypothesis of this article, that there is a liquidity premium in the Brazilian market, cannot be rejected. Moreover, it was observed that both CAPM and the three-factor model fail to explain the liquidity effect. The results obtained in this study can instigate the establishment of corporate policies which alleviate the liquidity costs, i.e., which improve the liquidity of the securities negotiated, reducing, as a result, the capital cost. By doing so, a company can increase its market value, improving the liquidity of its securities and shares, since the lower the capital cost, the greater the value of the company.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Fucape Business School in its journal Brazilian Business Review.
Volume (Year): 9 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Fucape Business School Brazilian Business Review Av. Fernando Ferrari, 1358, Boa Vista CEP 29075-505 Vitória-ES
Phone: +55 27 4009-4408
Fax: +55 27 4009-4422
Web page: http://www.bbronline.com.br/
More information through EDIRC
Anomalies; liquidity effect; assets pricing.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Goyenko, Ruslan Y. & Holden, Craig W. & Trzcinka, Charles A., 2009. "Do liquidity measures measure liquidity?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(2), pages 153-181, May.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-65, June.
- Keim, Donald B., 1983. "Size-related anomalies and stock return seasonality : Further empirical evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 13-32, June.
- Jacoby, Gady & Fowler, David J. & Gottesman, Aron A., 2000. "The capital asset pricing model and the liquidity effect: A theoretical approach," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 69-81, February.
- Marvin A. Keene & David R. Peterson, 2007. "The Importance Of Liquidity As A Factor In Asset Pricing," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 30(1), pages 91-109.
- Luboš Pástor & Robert F. Stambaugh, .
"Liquidity Risk and Expected Stock Returns,"
CRSP working papers
531, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Lubos Pastor & Robert F. Stambaugh, 2001. "Liquidity Risk and Expected Stock Returns," NBER Working Papers 8462, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pástor, Luboš & Stambaugh, Robert F, 2002. "Liquidity Risk and Expected Stock Returns," CEPR Discussion Papers 3494, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Liu, Weimin, 2006. "A liquidity-augmented capital asset pricing model," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(3), pages 631-671, December.
- Blume, Marshall E & Friend, Irwin, 1973. "A New Look at the Capital Asset Pricing Model," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 19-33, March.
- Datar, Vinay T. & Y. Naik, Narayan & Radcliffe, Robert, 1998. "Liquidity and stock returns: An alternative test," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 203-219, August.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Amihud, Yakov, 2002. "Illiquidity and stock returns: cross-section and time-series effects," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 31-56, January.
- Chordia, Tarun & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar & Anshuman, V. Ravi, 2001. "Trading activity and expected stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 3-32, January.
- Jun, Sang-Gyung & Marathe, Achla & Shawky, Hany A., 2003. "Liquidity and stock returns in emerging equity markets," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Yakov Amihud & Haim Mendelson, 2006. "Stock and Bond Liquidity and its Effect on Prices and Financial Policies," Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 19-32, April.
- Marshall, Ben R. & Young, Martin, 2003. "Liquidity and stock returns in pure order-driven markets: evidence from the Australian stock market," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 173-188.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1986. "Asset pricing and the bid-ask spread," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 223-249, December.
- Chan, Howard W. & Faff, Robert W., 2003. "An investigation into the role of liquidity in asset pricing: Australian evidence," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 555-572, November.
- Howard W. Chan & Robert W. Faff, 2005. "Asset Pricing and the Illiquidity Premium," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 40(4), pages 429-458, November.
- Duong Nguyen & Suchismita Mishra & Arun Prakash & Dilip K. Ghosh, 2007. "Liquidity And Asset Pricing Under The Three-Moment Capm Paradigm," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 30(3), pages 379-398.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adriana Gasparino).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.