Accounting information quality in public stock and bond offerings by brazilian public companies
AbstractAlthough bonds account for the largest trading volume of transactions in the Brazilian financial market, most studies of the quality of accounting information focus on the stock market. Considering that many studies suggest that the institutional and organizational environment affects firms’ accounting numbers, the following research question can be raised: Is the quality of accounting information affected significantly by public offering of stocks and bonds? To answer this question, we conducted an empirical study of a sample composed of listed Brazilian companies that made public debt and equity offerings between 2000 and 2006. The results indicate that such offerings did not significantly affect the accounting numbers, suggesting that the quality of accounting information is not affected by public stock and bond offerings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Fucape Business School in its journal Brazilian Business Review.
Volume (Year): 9 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Fucape Business School Brazilian Business Review Av. Fernando Ferrari, 1358, Boa Vista CEP 29075-505 Vitória-ES
Phone: +55 27 4009-4408
Fax: +55 27 4009-4422
Web page: http://www.bbronline.com.br/
More information through EDIRC
Accounting information quality; conservatism; persistence; earnings management; accruals.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holthausen, Robert W. & Watts, Ross L., 2001. "The relevance of the value-relevance literature for financial accounting standard setting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 3-75, September.
- Dechow, Patricia & Ge, Weili & Schrand, Catherine, 2010. "Understanding earnings quality: A review of the proxies, their determinants and their consequences," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2-3), pages 344-401, December.
- Masako Darrough & Srinivasan Rangan, 2005. "Do Insiders Manipulate Earnings When They Sell Their Shares in an Initial Public Offering?," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 1-33, 03.
- Roosenboom, Peter & van der Goot, Tjalling & Mertens, Gerard, 2003. "Earnings management and initial public offerings: Evidence from the Netherlands," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 243-266.
- Ball, Ray & Shivakumar, Lakshmanan, 2005. "Earnings quality in UK private firms: comparative loss recognition timeliness," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 83-128, February.
- Siew Hong Teoh & Ivo Welch & T.J. Wong, 1998. "Earnings Management and the Long-Run Market Performance of Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 1935-1974, December.
- Subramanyam, K. R., 1996. "The pricing of discretionary accruals," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1-3), pages 249-281, October.
- Basu, Sudipta, 1997. "The conservatism principle and the asymmetric timeliness of earnings," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 3-37, December.
- Jinhan Pae, 2005. "Expected Accrual Models: The Impact of Operating Cash Flows and Reversals of Accruals," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 5-22, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adriana Gasparino).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.