The Effect of Brazilian convergence to IFRS on earnings managment by listed Brazilian nonfinancial companies
AbstractThis article evaluates whether the changes in Brazilian accounting practices due to the convergence to international standards brought a reduction in earnings management by listed nonfinancial firms, causing an improvement in the quality of accounting information. We used the Jones model, as modified by Kothari, Leone & Wasley (2005), to measure earnings management by means of discretionary accruals using a sample of 361 companies between 2005 and 2011. The results indicate there was a change in earnings management through discretionary accruals after the convergence to IFRS in Brazil. We also found evidence that larger and more leveraged Brazilian firms tend to manage earnings less, but no evidence that being audited by one of the Big Four reduces the propensity for earnings management.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Fucape Business School in its journal Brazilian Business Review.
Volume (Year): 10 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Fucape Business School Brazilian Business Review Av. Fernando Ferrari, 1358, Boa Vista CEP 29075-505 Vitória-ES
Phone: +55 27 4009-4423
Fax: +55 27 4009-4422
Web page: http://www.bbronline.com.br/
More information through EDIRC
Earnings management; IFRS; convergence; quality of accounting information; modified Jones model.;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Iatridis, George Emmanuel, 2012. "Audit quality in common-law and code-law emerging markets: Evidence on earnings conservatism, agency costs and cost of equity," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 101-117.
- Tae Choi & Jinhan Pae, 2011. "Business Ethics and Financial Reporting Quality: Evidence from Korea," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 103(3), pages 403-427, October.
- Ahn, Sungyoon & Choi, Wooseok, 2009. "The role of bank monitoring in corporate governance: Evidence from borrowers' earnings management behavior," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 425-434, February.
- Van Thuan Nguyen & Li Xu, 2010. "The Impact of Dual Class Structure on Earnings Management Activities," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3-4), pages 456-485.
- Liu Wang & Kenneth Yung, 2011. "Do State Enterprises Manage Earnings More than Privately Owned Firms? The Case of China," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(7-8), pages 794-812, 09.
- (Xuefeng) Jiang, John & Petroni, Kathy R. & Yanyan Wang, Isabel, 2010. "CFOs and CEOs: Who have the most influence on earnings management?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 513-526, June.
- Chi, Jianxin (Daniel) & Gupta, Manu, 2009. "Overvaluation and earnings management," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1652-1663, September.
- Price, Richard & Román, Francisco J. & Rountree, Brian, 2011. "The impact of governance reform on performance and transparency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 76-96, January.
- Chung, Huimin & Sheu, Her-Jiun & Wang, Juo-Lien, 2009. "Do firms' earnings management practices affect their equity liquidity?," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 152-158, September.
- Degeorge, Francois & Patel, Jayendu & Zeckhauser, Richard, 1999.
"Earnings Management to Exceed Thresholds,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(1), pages 1-33, January.
- Peter Baxter & Julie Cotter, 2009. "Audit committees and earnings quality," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 49(2), pages 267-290.
- Jeanjean, Thomas & Stolowy, Hervé, 2008. "Do accounting standards matter? An exploratory analysis of earnings management before and after IFRS adoption," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 480-494.
- Hazarika, Sonali & Karpoff, Jonathan M. & Nahata, Rajarishi, 2012. "Internal corporate governance, CEO turnover, and earnings management," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(1), pages 44-69.
- Jerry Sun & Guoping Liu & George Lan, 2011. "Does Female Directorship on Independent Audit Committees Constrain Earnings Management?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 99(3), pages 369-382, March.
- Réal Labelle & Rim Gargouri & Claude Francoeur, 2010. "Erratum to: Ethics, Diversity Management, and Financial Reporting Quality," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 93(2), pages 355-355, May.
- Won Sil Kang & Alan Kilgore & Sue Wright, 2011. "The effectiveness of audit committees for low- and mid-cap firms," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 26(7), pages 623-650, July.
- McInnis, John & Collins, Daniel W., 2011. "The effect of cash flow forecasts on accrual quality and benchmark beating," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 219-239, April.
- Réal Labelle & Rim Makni Gargouri & Claude Francoeur, 2010. "Ethics, Diversity Management, and Financial Reporting Quality," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 93(2), pages 335-353, May.
- Salma S. Ibrahim, 2009. "The Usefulness of Measures of Consistency of Discretionary Components of Accruals in the Detection of Earnings Management," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(9-10), pages 1087-1116.
- Jengfang Chen & Woody M. Liao & Chiachi Lu, 2012. "The Effects of Public Venture Capital Investments on Corporate Governance: Evidence From IPO Firms in Emerging Markets," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 48(1), pages 86-103, 03.
- Kothari, S.P. & Leone, Andrew J. & Wasley, Charles E., 2005. "Performance matched discretionary accrual measures," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 163-197, February.
- Guthrie, Katherine & Sokolowsky, Jan, 2010. "Large shareholders and the pressure to manage earnings," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 302-319, June.
- Jyrki Niskanen & Jukka Karjalainen & Mervi Niskanen & Jussi Karjalainen, 2011. "Auditor gender and corporate earnings management behavior in private Finnish firms," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 26(9), pages 778-793, November.
- François Aubert, Gary Grudnitski, 2012. "Analysts' estimates: What they could be telling us about the impact of IFRS on earnings manipulation in Europe Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to examine whether mandatory adoption of Interna," Review of Accounting and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 53-72, February.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Ayers, Benjamin C. & Ramalingegowda, Santhosh & Eric Yeung, P., 2011. "Hometown advantage: The effects of monitoring institution location on financial reporting discretion," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 41-61, June.
- Hutton, Amy P. & Marcus, Alan J. & Tehranian, Hassan, 2009. "Opaque financial reports, R2, and crash risk," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 67-86, October.
- Leuz, Christian & Nanda, Dhananjay & Wysocki, Peter D., 2003. "Earnings management and investor protection: an international comparison," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 505-527, September.
- Rodríguez-Pérez, Gonzalo & van Hemmen, Stefan, 2010. "Debt, diversification and earnings management," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 138-159, March.
- Kim, Jeong-Bon & Yi, Cheong H., 2009. "Does auditor designation by the regulatory authority improve audit quality? Evidence from Korea," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 207-230, May.
- Aloke Ghosh & Antonio Marra & Doocheol Moon, 2010. "Corporate Boards, Audit Committees, and Earnings Management: Pre- and Post-SOX Evidence," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(9-10), pages 1145-1176, November/.
- Mark Wilson & Yi (Ava) Wu, 2011. "Do Publicly Signalled Earnings Management Incentives Affect Analyst Forecast Accuracy?," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 47(3), pages 315-342, 09.
- Cohen, Daniel A. & Zarowin, Paul, 2010. "Accrual-based and real earnings management activities around seasoned equity offerings," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 2-19, May.
- Hadani, Michael & Goranova, Maria & Khan, Raihan, 2011. "Institutional investors, shareholder activism, and earnings management," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(12), pages 1352-1360.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Lasso).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.