Effect Of Contract Disclosure On Price: Railroad Grain Contracting In The Plains
AbstractThe Staggers Rail Act of 1980 granted railroads freedom to establish rates and enter into confidential contracts with grain shippers. Recent legislation (1986) required that certain contract terms be disclosed. This study shows rail rates in the Plains region commenced an upward trend after implementation of the disclosure policy. Results suggest contract disclosure and increased reliance on posted tariffs facilitated rate coordination within the oligopolistic railroad industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Western Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 15 (1990)
Issue (Month): 02 (December)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cooper, James C. & Wright, Joshua D., 2012. "Alcohol, antitrust, and the 21st Amendment: An empirical examination of post and hold laws," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 379-392.
- Liliane Karlinger, 2008. "How Demand Information Can Destabilize a Cartel," Vienna Economics Papers 0803, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Dragan Miljkovic, 2001. "Transporting export-bound grain by rail: Rail rates in the Post-Staggers Rail Act Period," Transportation, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 297-314, August.
- Per Baltzer Overgaard & H. Peter Møllgaard, 2007.
"Information Exchange, Market Transparency and Dynamic Oligopoly,"
Economics Working Papers
2007-03, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Overgaard, Per Baltzer & Møllgaard, Peter, 2006. "Information Exchange, Market Transparency and Dynamic Oligopoly," Working Papers 13-2005, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Per Baltzer Overgaard & Peter Møllgaard, 2005. "Information Exchange, Market Transparency and Dynamic Oligopoly," CIE Discussion Papers 2005-11, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Industrial Economics.
- Miljkovic, Dragan, 1999. "Transporting The Export-Bound Grain By Rail: A Study Of Market Integration," Trade Research Center Research Discussion Papers 29236, Montana State University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.