Free Agency and the Concentration of Player Talent in Major League Baseball
AbstractThis article investigates whether the a removal of the reserve clause in professional baseball affected the concentration of player talent in the industry. After free agency, a few wealthy teams could purchase the best players over time, leading to a high concentration of productive players and adversely affecting the competitive nature of the industry. To investigate his possibility, the Herfindahl-Hirschman Index, and the deviation of the index from its ideal, for home runs, strike outs and runs scored is related to structural changes in professional baseball. Free agency reduced the concentration of home runs but not of strikeouts or runs scored. These findings are consistent with increased player mobility but not with monopolization by a minority of teams.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by in its journal Journal of Sports Economics.
Volume (Year): 3 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- J44 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Professional Labor Markets and Occupations
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mastromarco, Camilla & Runkel, Marco, 2004.
"Rule Changes and Competitive Balance in Formula One Motor Racing,"
Discussion Papers in Economics
386, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Camilla Mastromarco & Marco Runkel, 2009. "Rule changes and competitive balance in Formula One motor racing," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(23), pages 3003-3014.
- P. Owen & Michael Ryan & Clayton Weatherston, 2007. "Measuring Competitive Balance in Professional Team Sports Using the Herfindahl-Hirschman Index," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 289-302, December.
- Pelnar, Gregory, 2007. "Antitrust Analysis of Sports Leagues," MPRA Paper 5382, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jennifer K. Ashcraft & Craig A. Depken, II, 2007. "The Introduction of the Reserve Clause in Major League Baseball: Evidence of its Impact on Select Player Salaries During the 1880s," Working Papers 0710, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Thomas J. Miceli, 2003. "A Principal-Agent Model of Contracting in Major League Baseball," Working papers 2003-01, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.