The Consumer Price Index: A Research Agenda and Three Proposals
AbstractThis paper argues that dealing with current concerns about the CPI within the framework of economic theory requires developing the theory of the cost-of-living index under more general assumptions than have thus far been standard. It examines three neglected but critical issues that should rank high on the research agenda because of their practical implications for index number construction: Whose cost-of-living index? Why shop? and What is a good? It concludes by discussing the intersection between the technical problems of constructing the CPI and the political problems of indexing taxes and transfers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal Journal of Economic Perspectives.
Volume (Year): 12 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (Winter)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:fda:fdaddt:99-15 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alan B. Krueger & Aaron Siskind, 1998. "Assessing the Bias in the Consumer Price Index from Survey Data," NBER Working Papers 6450, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Trevon D. Logan, 2008. "Are Engel Curve Estimates of CPI Bias Biased?," NBER Working Papers 13870, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stefan Linz, 2010. "Regional Consumer Price Differences Within Germany Information Demand, Data Supply and the Role of the Consumer Price Index," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 230(6), pages 814-831, December.
- Timothy K.M. Beatty & Erling Røed Larsen & Dag Einar Sommervoll, 2005. "Measuring the Price of Housing Consumption for Owners in the CPI," Discussion Papers 427, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Javier Ruiz-Castillo & Eduardo Ley & Mario Izquierdo, .
"Distributional aspects of the quality change bias in the CPI: Evidence from Spain,"
Studies on the Spanish Economy
- Ruiz-Castillo, Javier & Ley, Eduardo & Izquierdo, Mario, 2002. "Distributional aspects of the quality change bias in the CPI: evidence from Spain," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 137-144, June.
- Hyun H. Son & Nanak Kakwani, 2006. "Measuring the impact of prices on inequality: with applications to Thailand and Korea," Working Papers 11, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Hyun Son & Nanak Kakwani, 2006. "Measuring the impact of prices on inequality: With applications to Thailand and Korea," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 181-207, August.
- Shiratsuka, Shigenori, 1999. "Measurement Errors in the Japanese Consumer Price Index," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 17(3), pages 69-102, December.
- repec:fda:fdaddt:2000-08 is not listed on IDEAS
- José Cuesta & Suzanne Duryea & Fidel Jaramillo & Marcos Robles, 2010. "Distributive impacts of the food price crisis in the Andean region," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 846-865.
- Jordi Maluquer de Motes i Bernet, 2007. ""La paradisíaca estabilidad de la anteguerra". Elaboración de un índice de precios de consumo de España, 1830-1936," UHE Working papers 2007_07, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Departament d'Economia i Història Econòmica, Unitat d'Història Econòmica.
- Marshall Reinsdorf & Jack E. Triplett, 2009. "A Review of Reviews: Ninety Years of Professional Thinking About the Consumer Price Index," NBER Chapters, in: Price Index Concepts and Measurement, pages 17-83 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlos Guerrero de Lizardi & Manuel Lara Caballero, 2011. "Variaciones en la medición estatal de la pobreza por ingresos según índices de precios locales: México 2000-2008," Ensayos Revista de Economia, Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Facultad de Economia, vol. 0(2), pages 51-78, November.
- Atuesta, Laura & Paredes, Araya, 2011. "A Spatial Cost of Living Index for Colombia using a Microeconomic Approach and Censored Data," MPRA Paper 30580, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:dgr:umamer:2003032 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.