Tallest in the World: Native Americans of the Great Plains in the Nineteenth Century
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal American Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 91 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I12 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health Production
- N31 - Economic History - - Labor and Consumers, Demography, Education, Health, Welfare, Income, Wealth, Religion, and Philanthropy - - - U.S.; Canada: Pre-1913
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lars Sandberg & Richard H. Steckel, 1997. "Was Industrialization Hazardous to Your Health? Not in Sweden!," NBER Chapters, in: Health and Welfare during Industrialization, pages 127-160 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Komlos, 1989. "Nutrition and Economic Development in the Eighteenth-Century Habsburg Monarchy: An Anthropometric History," Books by John Komlos, Department of Economics, University of Munich, Department of Economics, University of Munich, number 2.
- Dora Costa & Richard H. Steckel, 1997.
"Long-Term Trends in Health, Welfare, and Economic Growth in the United States,"
in: Health and Welfare during Industrialization, pages 47-90
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dora L. Costa & Richard H. Steckel, 1995. "Long-Term Trends in Health, Welfare, and Economic Growth in the United States," NBER Historical Working Papers, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc 0076, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard H. Steckel, 1982. "Height and Per Capita Income," NBER Working Papers 0880, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Decker, Jody F., 1991. "Depopulation of the Northern Plains Natives," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 381-393, January.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2001.
"Reversal of Fortune: Geography and Institutions in the Making of the Modern World Income Distribution,"
NBER Working Papers
8460, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James A. Robinson, 2002. "Reversal Of Fortune: Geography And Institutions In The Making Of The Modern World Income Distribution," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 117(4), pages 1231-1294, November.
- Maloney, William F. & Caicedo, Felipe Valencia, 2012.
"The persistence of (subnational) fortune : geography, agglomeration, and institutions in the new world,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6187, The World Bank.
- William F. Maloney & Felipe Valencia Caicedo, 2012. "The Persistence of (Subnational) Fortune: Geography, Agglomeration, and Institutions in the New World," DOCUMENTOS CEDE, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE 010017, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Gregg, Matthew T. & Wishart, David M., 2012. "The price of Cherokee removal," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 423-442.
- Godoy, Ricardo A. & Goodman, Elizabeth & Levins, Richard & Caram, Mariana & Seyfried, Craig, 2007. "Adult male height in an American colony: Puerto Rico and the USA mainland compared, 1886-1955," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 82-99, March.
- Dora L. Costa, 2002.
"The Measure of Man and Older Age Mortality: Evidence from the Gould Sample,"
NBER Working Papers
8843, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Costa, Dora L., 2004. "The Measure of Man and Older Age Mortality: Evidence from the Gould Sample," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 64(01), pages 1-23, March.
- Richard H. Steckel, 2008.
"Heights and Human Welfare: Recent Developments and New Directions,"
NBER Working Papers
14536, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steckel, Richard H., 2009. "Heights and human welfare: Recent developments and new directions," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 1-23, January.
- John Komlos & Leonard Carlson, 2010.
"The Anthropometric History of Native Americans, c. 1820-1890,"
Emory Economics, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta)
1006, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- John Komlos & Leonard Carlson, 2012. "The Anthropometric History of Native Americans, c. 1820 - 1890," CESifo Working Paper Series 3740, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kris Inwood & Les Oxley & Evan Roberts, 2008. "Physical stature and its interpretation in nineteenth century New Zealand," Working Papers in Economics 08/22, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Godoy, Ricardo A. & Leonard, William R. & Reyes-Garcia, Victoria & Goodman, Elizabeth & McDade, Thomas & Huanca, Tomas & Tanner, Susan & Vadez, Vincent, 2006. "Physical stature of adult Tsimane' Amerindians, Bolivian Amazon in the 20th century," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 184-205, June.
- Yoko Akachi & David Canning, 2007. "The Height of Women in Sub-Saharan Africa: the Role of Health, Nutrition, and Income in Childhood," PGDA Working Papers, Program on the Global Demography of Aging 2207, Program on the Global Demography of Aging.
- Richard H. Steckel, 2008. "Biological Measures of the Standard of Living," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 129-152, Winter.
- JÃ¶rg Baten & Mojgan Stegl & Pierre Eng, 2013. "The biological standard of living and body height in colonial and post-colonial Indonesia, 1770â€“2000," Journal of Bioeconomics, Springer, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 103-122, July.
- Ann Carlos & Frank Lewis, 2010. "Property Rights, Standards of Living, and Economic Growth: Western Canadian Cree," Working Papers, Queen's University, Department of Economics 1232, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Adolfo Meisel R. & Margarita Vega A., 2006. "Los orÃgenes de la antropometrÃa histÃ³rica y su estado actual," CUADERNOS DE HISTORIA ECONÃ“MICA Y EMPRESARIAL 003175, BANCO DE LA REPÃšBLICA - ECONOMÃA REGIONAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.