Measuring Permanent Responses to Capital-Gains Tax Changes in Panel Data
AbstractThe authors use panel data and information about differences in state tax rates to separate the effects of transitory and permanent tax rate changes on capital-gains realizations behavior. The estimated effect of permanent change is substantially smaller than the effect of transitory change. The difference is even larger than differences between estimates from past micro data studies, which have primarily measured the transitory effect, and time-series studies, which have primarily measured the permanent effect. The authors' results resolve a long-standing conflict between micro data and time-series studies of how marginal tax rates affect capital-gains realizations behavior. Copyright 1994 by American Economic Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Economic Association in its journal American Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 84 (1994)
Issue (Month): 4 (September)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Auten, Gerald E & Clotfelter, Charles T, 1982. "Permanent versus Transitory Tax Effects and the Realization of Capital Gains," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 97(4), pages 613-32, November.
- Martin Feldstein & Joel Slemrod & Shlomo Yitzhaki, 1981.
"The Effects of Taxation on the Selling of Corporate Stock and the Realization of Capital Gains,"
NBER Working Papers
0250, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feldstein, Martin & Slemrod, Joel & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1980. "The Effects of Taxation on the Selling of Corporate Stock and the Realization of Capital Gains," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(4), pages 777-91, June.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1983.
"Some Aspects of the Taxation of Capital Gains,"
NBER Working Papers
1094, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Auten, Gerald E. & Burman, Leonard E. & Randolph, William C., 1989. "Estimation and Interpretation of Capital Gains Realization Behavior: Evidence from Panel Data," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 42(3), pages 353-74, September.
- George M. Constantinides, 1983.
"Optimal Stock Trading with Personal Taxes: Implications for Prices and the Abnormal January Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
1176, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Constantinides, George M., 1984. "Optimal stock trading with personal taxes : Implications for prices and the abnormal January returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 65-89, March.
- Lee, Lung-fei & Maddala, G S & Trost, R P, 1980. "Asymptotic Covariance Matrices of Two-Stage Probit and Two-Stage Tobit Methods for Simultaneous Equations Models with Selectivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 491-503, March.
- Kiefer, Donald W., 1990. "Lock-In Effect Within a Simple Model of Corporate Stock Trading," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 43(1), pages 75-94, March.
- Bogart, William T & Gentry, William M, 1995. "Capital Gains Taxes and Realizations: Evidence from Interstate Comparisons," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(2), pages 267-82, May.
- Gillingham, Robert & Greenlees, John S., 1992. "The Effect of Marginal Tax Rates on Capital Gains Revenue: Another Look at the Evidence," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 45(2), pages 167-77, June.
- Auerbach, Alan J., 1989. "Capital Gains Taxation and Tax Reform," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 42(3), pages 391-401, September.
- Joel Slemrod & William Shobe, 1990. "The Tax Elasticity of Capital Gains Realizations: Evidence from a Panel of Taxpayers," NBER Working Papers 3237, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Burman, Leonard E. & Clausing, Kimberly A. & O'Hare, John F., 1994. "Tax Reform and Realizations of Capital Gains in 1986," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 47(1), pages 1-18, March.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jane Voros) or (Michael P. Albert).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.