Bayesian Fuzzy Regression Analysis and Model Selection: Theory and Evidence
In this study we suggest a Bayesian approach to fuzzy clustering analysis – the Bayesian fuzzy regression. Bayesian Posterior Odds analysis is employed to select the correct number of clusters for the fuzzy regression analysis. In this study, we use a natural conjugate prior for the parameters, and we find that the Bayesian Posterior Odds provide a very powerful tool for choosing the number of clusters. The results from a Monte Carlo experiment and three illustrative applications with economic data are very encouraging.
|Date of creation:||11 Jun 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 1700, STN CSC, Victoria, BC, Canada, V8W 2Y2|
Web page: http://web.uvic.ca/econ
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giles, David E.A. & Feng, Hui, 2005. "Output and well-being in industrialized nations in the second half of the 20th century: testing for convergence using fuzzy clustering analysis," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 285-308, June.
- Chen, Jyh-Yaw Joseph & Giles, David E.A., 2004.
"Gender convergence in crime: Evidence from Canadian adult offense charge data,"
Journal of Criminal Justice,
Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 593-606.
- Jyh-Yaw Joseph Chen & David E.A. Giles, 2003. "Gender Convergence in Crime: Evidence From Canadian Adult Offence Charge Data," Econometrics Working Papers 0303, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- David E. A. Giles & Robert Draeseke, 2001. "Econometric Modelling based on Pattern recognition via the Fuzzy c-Means Clustering Algorithm," Econometrics Working Papers 0101, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- David Giles & Chad Stroomer, 2006. "Does Trade Openness Affect the Speed of Output Convergence? Some Empirical Evidence," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 31(4), pages 883-903, November.
- David E. A. Giles & Chad Stroomer, 2003. "Does Trade Openness Affect the Speed of Output Convergence? Some Empirical Evidence," Econometrics Working Papers 0307, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- David E. Giles & Chad N. Stroomer, 2005. "Does Trade Openness Affect the Speed of Output Convergence? Some Empirical Evidence," Econometrics Working Papers 0509, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- David E. Giles & Chad N. Stroomer, 2004. "Identifying the Cycle of a Macroeconomic Time-Series Using Fuzzy Filtering," Econometrics Working Papers 0406, Department of Economics, University of Victoria. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:vic:vicewp:0903. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Giles)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.