Analyzing Corruption Possibilities in the Gaze of the Media
In this paper analyze the economic incentives that govern the strategic relationship between the government and the independent media has been analysed using a consistent analytical framework.The analysis focuses on the extent to which theâ€˜freeâ€™ press can act as a deterrent to corruption in governance. It has been found out that although â€˜press freedomâ€™ is indeed important as stressed in the existing literature, both mutually profitable cover-up arrangements as well as the governmentâ€™s ability to â€˜manageâ€™ the mediaâ€™s allegations tend to have a substantial negative impact on the mediaâ€™s role as an effective watchdog. Also, more competition in the media sector need not necessarily translate into increased deterrence from corruption.[DiscussionPaperNo.2001/30]
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Katajanokanlaituri 6B, 00160 Helsinki|
Web page: http://www.wider.unu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexander R. W. Robson & Stergios Skaperdas, 2002.
"Costly Enforcement of Property Rights and the Coase Theorem,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
762, CESifo Group Munich.
- Alex Robson & Stergios Skaperdas, 2008. "Costly enforcement of property rights and the Coase theorem," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 36(1), pages 109-128, July.
- Alex Robson & Stergios Skaperdas, 2005. "Costly Enforcement of Property Rights and the Coase Theorem," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2005-455, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Skaperdas, Stergios, 1992.
"Cooperation, Conflict, and Power in the Absence of Property Rights,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 720-39, September.
- Skaperdas, S., 1991. "Cooperation, Conflict And Power In The Absence Of Property Rights," Papers 90-91-06a, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:unu:wpaper:dp2001-30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.