Capital Flows and Financial Crises: A Comparative Analysis of East Asia (1997-97) and Argentina (2001-02)
This paper suggests, first, that a simple theoretical framework is useful in explaining financial crises in emerging economies. Second, it reviews the East Asian financial crises of 1997-98 . Third, the paper examines the origins of Argentina’s crisis of 2001-02. Fourth, it presents a comparative analysis of both crises, highlighting their similarities and differences. Finally, the conclusions point out the drawbacks of both hard and soft pegs respective to a single foreign currency as well as the need for emerging economies to use capital controls in order to avoid the recurrence of financial crises.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: +34 913942604|
Web page: http://economicasyempresariales.ucm.es/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales. Campus de Somosaguas, 28223 - POZUELO DE ALARCÓN (MADRID)|
Web: https://economicasyempresariales.ucm.es/working-papers-ccee Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roberto Chang & Andrés Velasco, 2002.
"The 1997-98 Liquidity Crisis: Asia versus Latin America,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Leonardo Hernández & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Banking, Financial Integration, and International Crises, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 13, pages 413-452
Central Bank of Chile.
- Roberto Chang & Andrés Velasco, 2001. "The 1997-98 Liquidity Crisis: Asia Versus Latin America," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 120, Central Bank of Chile.
- Gabriel Palma, 2000. "The Three Routes to Financial Crises: The Need for Capital Controls," SCEPA working paper series. SCEPA's main areas of research are macroeconomic policy, inequality and poverty, and globalization. 2000-17, Schwartz Center for Economic Policy Analysis (SCEPA), The New School.
- Michael Mussa, 2002.
"Argentina and the Fund: From Triumph to Tragedy,"
Peterson Institute Press: All Books,
Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa67, January.
- Michael Mussa, 2002. "Argentina and the Fund: From Triumph to Tragedy," Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa67.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Augusto de la Torre & Sergio Schmukler, 2003.
"Living and Dying with Hard Pegs: The Rise and Fall of Argentina´s Currency Board,"
Business School Working Papers
catorce, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Augusto de la Torre & Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2003. "Living and Dying with Hard Pegs: The Rise and Fall of Argentina’s Currency Board," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Spring 20), pages 43-108, January.
- De la Torre, Augusto & Levy Yeyati, Eduardo & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2003. "Living and dying with hard pegs : the rise and fall of Argentina's currency board," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2980, The World Bank.
- Alejandro Izquierdo, 2002. "Sudden Stops, the Real Exchange Rate and Fiscal Sustainability in Argentina," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(7), pages 903-923, 07.
- Philip Arestis, 2002. "Financial crisis in Southeast Asia: dispelling illusion the Minskyan way," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(2), pages 237-260, March.
- Pablo Bustelo & Clara Garcia & Iliana Olivie, 1999. "Global and Domestic Factors of Financial Crises in Emerging Economies: Lessons from the East Asian Episodes (1997-1999)," Working Papers 002, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales.
- Werner Baer & Pedro Elosegui & Andres Gallo, 2002. "The Achievements and Failures of Argentina's Neo-liberal Economic Policies," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(1), pages 63-85.
- repec:idb:brikps:9187 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ronald I. McKinnon & Huw Pill, 1999.
"Exchange Rate Regimes for Emerging Markets: Moral Hazard and International Overborrowing,"
99018, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- McKinnon, Ronald I & Pill, Huw, 1999. "Exchange-Rate Regimes for Emerging Markets: Moral Hazard and International Overborrowing," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(3), pages 19-38, Autumn.
- Jan A. Kregel, 1998.
"East Asia Is Not Mexico: The Difference between Balance of Payments Crises and Debt Deflations,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_235, Levy Economics Institute.
- J.A. Kregel, 1998. "East Asia Is Not Mexico: The Difference between Balance of Payments Crises and Debt Deflations," Macroeconomics 9805020, EconWPA.
- Mark M. Spiegel, 2002. "Argentina's currency crisis: lessons for Asia," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue aug23.
- Alejandro Izquierdo & Ernesto Talvi & Guillermo A. Calvo, 2002.
"Sudden Stops, the Real Exchange Rate and Fiscal Sustainability: Argentina's Lessons,"
Research Department Publications
4299, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Alejandro Izquierdo & Ernesto Talvi, 2003. "Sudden Stops, the Real Exchange Rate, and Fiscal Sustainability: Argentina's Lessons," NBER Working Papers 9828, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Alejandro Izquierdo & Ernesto Talvi, 2002. "Sudden Stops, the Real Exchange Rate and Fiscal Sustainability: Argentina's Lessons," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6821, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Freitas, Maria Cristina Penido de & Prates, Daniela Magalhães, 2000. "Financial openness: the experience of Argentina, Brazil and Mexico," Revista CEPAL, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL), April.
- Palma, Gabriel, 1998. "Three and a Half Cycles of 'Mania, Panic, and [Asymmetric] Crash': East Asia and Latin America Compared," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 22(6), pages 789-808, November.
- Bustelo, Pablo, 2000. "Novelties of financial crises in the 1990s and the search for new indicators," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 229-251, November.
- Perry, Guillermo & Serven, Luis, 2003. "The anatomy of a multiple crisis : why was Argentina special and what can we learn from it?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3081, The World Bank.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 2002. "Financial Crises and What to Do About Them," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199257447, December.
- Shoji Nishijima, 2001. "Currency Crises in Asia and Latin America: A Comparison," Discussion Paper Series 122, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucm:doctra:04-17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Águeda González Abad)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.