A Signaling Theory of Grade Inflation
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
References listed on IDEAS
- Brown, Gardner & Layton, David F., 1996. "Resistance economics: social cost and the evolution of antibiotic resistance," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(03), pages 349-355, July.
- Scott Barrett, 2003. "Global Disease Eradication," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(2-3), pages 591-600, 04/05.
- Barrett, Scott & Hoel, Michael, 2007. "Optimal disease eradication," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(05), pages 627-652, October.
- Philipson, Tomas, 2000. "Economic epidemiology and infectious diseases," Handbook of Health Economics,in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 33, pages 1761-1799 Elsevier.
- Francis, Peter J., 1997. "Dynamic epidemiology and the market for vaccinations," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 383-406, February.
- Goldman Steven Marc & Lightwood James, 2002.
"Cost Optimization in the SIS Model of Infectious Disease with Treatment,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(1), pages 1-24, April.
- Goldman, Steven M. & Lightwood, James, 1996. "Cost Optimization in the SIS Model of Infectious Disease with Treatment," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt0r88q87t, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Steven M. Goldman and James Lightwood., 1996. "Cost Optimization in the SIS Model of Infectious Disease with Treatment," Economics Working Papers 96-245, University of California at Berkeley.
- Alistair Munro, 1997. "Economics and biological evolution," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 9(4), pages 429-449, June.
- Mark Gersovitz & Jeffrey S. Hammer, 2004. "The Economical Control of Infectious Diseases," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(492), pages 1-27, January.
- Daily, Gretchen C. & Ehrlich, Paul R., 1996. "Impacts of development and global change on the epidemiological environment," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(03), pages 311-346, July.
- Gersovitz, Mark & Hammer, Jeffrey S., 2005. "Tax/subsidy policies toward vector-borne infectious diseases," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(4), pages 647-674, April.
- John B. Horowitz & H. Brian Moehring, 2004. "How property rights and patents affect antibiotic resistance," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(6), pages 575-583.
- Stephen P. A. Brown & William C. Gruben, 1997. "Intellectual property rights and product effectiveness," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Q IV, pages 15-20.
- Geoffard, Pierre-Yves & Philipson, Tomas, 1997. "Disease Eradication: Private versus Public Vaccination," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(1), pages 222-230, March.
- Mark Gersovitz & Jeffrey S. Hammer, 2003. "Infectious Diseases, Public Policy, and the Marriage of Economics and Epidemiology," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 18(2), pages 129-157.
- Kessing, Sebastian G. & Nuscheler, Robert, 2006.
"Monopoly pricing with negative network effects: The case of vaccines,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 50(4), pages 1061-1069, May.
- Kessing, Sebastian & Nuscheler, Robert, 2003.
"Monopoly pricing with negative network effects: the case of vaccines
[Monopolpreisbildung mit negativen Netzwerkeffekten am Beispiel von Impfstoffen]," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Market Processes and Governance SP II 2003-06, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Kessing, Sebastian & Nuscheler, Robert, 2003. "Monopoly pricing with negative network effects: the case of vaccines
- Brito, Dagobert L. & Sheshinski, Eytan & Intriligator, Michael D., 1991. "Externalities and compulsary vaccinations," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 69-90, June.
- Baumol, William J., 1996. "Antibiotics overuse and other threats," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(03), pages 346-349, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sergey V. Popov & Dan Bernhardt, 2013.
"University Competition, Grading Standards, And Grade Inflation,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 51(3), pages 1764-1778, July.
- Popov, Sergey V. & Bernhardt, Dan, 2010. "University Competition, Grading Standards and Grade Inflation," MPRA Paper 26461, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alessandro Tampieri, 2016.
"Social background effects on school and job opportunities,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(5), pages 496-510, September.
- Alessandro Tampieri, 2009. "Social Background Effects on School and Job Opportunities," Discussion Papers in Economics 09/26, Department of Economics, University of Leicester, revised Sep 2010.
- A. Tampieri, 2011. "Social Background Effects on School and Job Opportunities," Working Papers wp779, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Contreras, Dante & Gallegos, Sebastian & Meneses, Francisco, 2009.
"Determinantes del desempeño universitario: ¿Importa la habilidad relativa?
[University performance determinants: does relative ability matter?]," MPRA Paper 23320, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rebecca Summary & William Weber, 2012. "Grade inflation or productivity growth? An analysis of changing grade distributions at a regional university," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 95-107, August.
- Maria De Paola, 2011. "Easy grading practices and supply–demand factors: evidence from Italy," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 227-246, October.
- Babcock, Phillip, 2009. "Real Costs of Nominal Grade Inflation? New Evidence from Student Course Evaluations," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt4823c3jx, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Philip Babcock, 2010. "Real Costs Of Nominal Grade Inflation? New Evidence From Student Course Evaluations," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 48(4), pages 983-996, October.
- Chakraborty, Archishman & Harbaugh, Rick, 2007. "Comparative cheap talk," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 132(1), pages 70-94, January.
- A. Tampieri, 2011.
"Students' Social Origins and Targeted Grade Inflation,"
wp801, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Alessandro Tampieri, 2013. "Students' Social Origins and targeted Grade Inflation," CREA Discussion Paper Series 13-28, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Hernández-Julián, Rey & Looney, Adam, 2016. "Measuring inflation in grades: An application of price indexing to undergraduate grades," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 220-232.
- Talia Bar & Vrinda Kadiyali & Asaf Zussman, 2012. "Putting Grades in Context," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(2), pages 445-478.
- Maria, De Paola, 2008. "Are easy grading practices induced by low demand? Evidence from Italy," MPRA Paper 14425, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Schwager, Robert, 2012. "Grade inflation, social background, and labour market matching," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 56-66.
- Damiano, Ettore & Li, Hao & Suen, Wing, 2008.
Econometric Society, vol. 3(3), September.
- Ettore Damiano & Hao Li & Wing Suen, 2006. "Credible Ratings," Working Papers tecipa-219, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Damiano, Ettore & Li, Hao & Suen, Wing, 2006. "Credible Ratings," Microeconomics.ca working papers damiano-06-01-17-01-56-45, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 17 Jan 2006.
- Oliver Himmler & Robert Schwager, 2013.
"Double Standards in Educational Standards – Do Schools with a Disadvantaged Student Body Grade More Leniently?,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 14(2), pages 166-189, May.
- Himmler, Oliver & Schwager, Robert, 2007. "Double Standards in Educational Standards: Are Disadvantaged Students Being Graded More Leniently?," ZEW Discussion Papers 07-016, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Rick Harbaugh & Eric Rasmusen, 2012. "Coarse Grades: Informing the Public by Withholding Information," Working Papers 2012-06, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Gwendolyn R. Tecson, 2011. "Trends in Grades, UP School of Economics," UP School of Economics Discussion Papers 201102, University of the Philippines School of Economics.
- Cory Koedel, 2010. "Grading Standards in Education Departments at Universities," Working Papers 1002, Department of Economics, University of Missouri, revised 13 Jun 2011.
More about this item
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-04-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-MAC-2006-04-08 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-URE-2006-04-08 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tor:tecipa:tecipa-222. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
We have no references for this item. You can help adding them by using this form .