Macroeconomic Performance and Inequality: Brazil 1983-1994
We examine how poor macroeconomic performance, mainly in the role of high rates of inflation, affected earnings inequality in the 1980s and early 1990s in Brazil. The results based initially on aggregate time-series, and then on the relatively novel sub-national panel time-series data and analysis show that the extreme inflation, combined with an imperfect process of financial adaptation and an incomplete indexation coverage, had a regressive and significant impact on inequality. The implication of the results is that sound macroeconomic policies, which keep inflation low and stable in the long-run, should be a necessary first step of any policy package implemented to alleviate inequality in Brazil.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Newlands on Main, F0301 3rd Floor Mariendahl House, cnr Campground and Main Rds, Claremont, 7700 Cape Town|
Phone: 021 671-3980
Fax: +27 21 671 3912
Web page: http://www.econrsa.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Metcalf, Charles E, 1969. "The Size Distribution of Personal Income during the Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(4), pages 657-68, Part I Se.
- SÃ²nia MuÃ±oz, 2007. "Central Bank Quasi-Fiscal Losses and High Inflation in Zimbabwe; A Note," IMF Working Papers 07/98, International Monetary Fund.
- Charles M. Beach, 1974.
"Cyclical Sensitivity of Aggregate Income Inequality,"
162, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Beach, Charles M, 1977. "Cyclical Sensitivity of Aggregate Income Inequality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 59(1), pages 56-66, February.
- Christina D. Romer & David Romer, 1998.
"Monetary policy and the well-being of the poor,"
Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole,
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 159-201.
- N Fiess & M Fugazza & WF Maloney, 2006.
"Informal Labor Markets and Macroeconomic Fluctuations,"
2006_17, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Fiess, Norbert M. & Fugazza, Marco & Maloney, William F., 2007. "Informal Labor Markets and Macroeconomic Fluctuations," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Göttingen 2007 6, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Mathan Satchi & Jonathan Temple, 2006.
"Growth and labour markets in developing countries,"
CEDI Discussion Paper Series
06-12, Centre for Economic Development and Institutions(CEDI), Brunel University.
- Mathan Satchi & Jonathan Temple, 2006. "Growth and labour markets in developing countries," Bristol Economics Discussion Papers 06/581, Department of Economics, University of Bristol, UK.
- Satchi, Mathan & Temple, Jonathan, 2006. "Growth and Labour Markets in Developing Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 5515, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Christopher W. Crowe, 2006.
"Inflation, Inequality, and Social Conflict,"
IMF Working Papers
06/158, International Monetary Fund.
- Chris Crowe, 2004. "Inflation, Inequality and Social Conflict," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2004 69, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Christopher Crowe, 2004. "Inflation, Inequality and Social Conflict," CEP Discussion Papers dp0657, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Anoop Singh & Martin D. Cerisola, 2006. "Sustaining Latin America's Resurgence; Some Historical Perspectives," IMF Working Papers 06/252, International Monetary Fund.
- Kane, Cheikh & Morisett, Jacques, 1993. "Who would vote for inflation in Brazil? : an integrated framework approach to inflation and income distribution," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1183, The World Bank.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- International Monetary Fund, 2005.
"Latin American Central Bank Reform; Progress and Challenges,"
IMF Working Papers
05/114, International Monetary Fund.
- Agustin Carstens & Luis I. Jacome H., 2005. "Latin American Central Bank Reform: Progress and Challenges," Macroeconomics 0509022, EconWPA.
- Thorsten Beck & Asli Demirgüç-Kunt & Ross Levine, 2007. "Finance, inequality and the poor," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 27-49, March.
- Sen, Amartya, 1997. "On Economic Inequality," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198292975, June.
- Rebecca M. Blank & Alan S. Blinder, 1985. "Macroeconomics, Income Distribution, and Poverty," NBER Working Papers 1567, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992.
"Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995. "Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Federico Sturzenegger, 1992. "Inflation and Social Welfare in a Model With Endogenous Financial Adaptation," NBER Working Papers 4103, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Donggyu Sul, 2003. "Dynamic panel estimation and homogeneity testing under cross section dependence *," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 6(1), pages 217-259, 06.
- Swamy, P A V B, 1970.
"Efficient Inference in a Random Coefficient Regression Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 38(2), pages 311-23, March.
- Tom Doan, . "SWAMY: RATS procedure to compute a GLS matrix weighted estimator for a panel data set," Statistical Software Components RTS00206, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Easterly, William & Fischer, Stanley, 2001.
"Inflation and the Poor,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 33(2), pages 160-78, May.
- David M. Cutler & Lawrence F. Katz, 1991. "Macroeconomic Performance and the Disadvantaged," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 22(2), pages 1-74.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999.
"Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1057-1112, September.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999. "Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1222, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Anoop Singh, 2006. "Macroeconomic Volatility; The Policy Lessons from Latin America," IMF Working Papers 06/166, International Monetary Fund.
- Federico A. Sturzenegger, 1992. "Inflation and Social Welfare in a Model with Endogenous Financial Adaptation," UCLA Economics Working Papers 658, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Irineu E. de Carvalho Filho & Marcos Chamon, 2006. "The Myth of Post-Reform Income Stagnation in Brazil," IMF Working Papers 06/275, International Monetary Fund.
- Cysne, Rubens P. & Maldonado, Wilfredo L. & Monteiro, Paulo Klinger, 2005. "Inflation and income inequality: A shopping-time approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 516-528, December.
- Andrés Erosa & Gustavo Ventura, 2000.
"On Inflation as a Regressive Consumption Tax,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
20001, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Thurow, Lester C, 1970. "Analyzing the American Income Distribution," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(2), pages 261-69, May.
- Jens R. Clausen & Sharmini Coorey & Bakar Ould-Abdallah & SÃ²nia MuÃ±oz & Norbert Funke, 2007. "Lessons From High Inflation Epidsodes for Stabilizing the Economy in Zimbabwe," IMF Working Papers 07/99, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rza:wpaper:101. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charles Tanton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.