Innovation, Growth and Quality of Life: a Theoretical Model and an Estimate for the Italian Regions
This paper carries out an explanatory investigation into the relationship between socio-institutional conditions, quality of life indicators and economic growth in the Italian regions. Previous studies stress the importance of institutional quality, social capital and social conditions in determining disparities between richer and poorer regions. Building on this literature, we consider a three-sector model of semi-endogenous growth with negative externalities depending on structural and institutional factors that affect the innovative capacity of regional systems (the "social externalities hypothesis"). Simulations based on the scaled stationary system confirm that endogenous socio-economic conditions are crucial for the successful translation of innovation into economic growth. It is suggested that generating a development strategy designed to improve social conditions and well-being in the poorer regions may yield dividends in terms of the effectiveness of public policy and economic development
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 06 57114612
Fax: +39 06 57114771
Web page: http://host.uniroma3.it/dipartimenti/economia/it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vicente Royuela & Rosina Moreno & Esther Vaya, 2010. "Influence of Quality of Life on Urban Growth: A Case Study of Barcelona, Spain," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(5), pages 551-567.
- von Tunzelmann, Nick & Wang, Qing, 2007. "Capabilities and production theory," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 192-211, June.
- David Roodman, 2007.
"A Note on the Theme of Too Many Instruments,"
125, Center for Global Development.
- Martin Ravallion, 2009.
"Do Poorer Countries Have Less Capacity for Redistribution?,"
97, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Ravallion Martin, 2010. "Do Poorer Countries Have Less Capacity for Redistribution?," Journal of Globalization and Development, De Gruyter, vol. 1(2), pages 1-31, December.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2009. "Do poorer countries have less capacity for redistribution ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5046, The World Bank.
- Martin Ravallion, 2011. "Do Poorer Countries Have Less Capacity for Redistribution?," One Pager Chinese 97, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Stefano Federico, 2010. "Outsourcing versus Integration at Home or Abroad," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 742, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- S. Lodde, 2007. "Human Capital And Productivity Growth In The Italian Regional Economies: A Sectoral Analysis," Working Paper CRENoS 200711, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose, 2013.
"Do Institutions Matter for Regional Development?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(7), pages 1034-1047, July.
- repec:rie:review:v:14:y:2009:i:3:n:2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pupo Valeria & Aiello Francesco, 2009. "L'impatto della politica regionale dell'Unione Europea. Uno studio sulle regioni italiane," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 421-454.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Thomas Farole & Andrés Rodríguez‐Pose & Michael Storper, 2011.
"Cohesion Policy in the European Union: Growth, Geography, Institutions,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(5), pages 1089-1111, 09.
- Thomas Farole & Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Michael Storper, 2010. "Cohesion policy in the European Union: Growth, geography, institutions," Working Papers 2010-14, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Simona Iammarino & Mariacristina Piva & Marco Vivarelli & Nick Von Tunzelmann, 2010.
"Technological capabilities and patterns of cooperation of UK firms: a regional investigation,"
DISCE - Quaderni del Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali
Number: dises1058, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Dipartimenti e Istituti di Scienze Economiche (DISCE).
- Iammarino, Simona & Piva, Mariacristina & Vivarelli, Marco & Von Tunzelmann, Nick, 2009. "Technological Capabilities and Patterns of Cooperation of UK Firms: A Regional Investigation," IZA Discussion Papers 4129, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stefano Federico, 2010. "Outsourcing versus integration at home or abroad and firm heterogeneity," Empirica, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 47-63, February.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2008.
"The technology clubs: the distribution of knowledge across nations,"
27597, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Castellacci, Fulvio & Archibugi, Daniele, 2008. "The technology clubs: The distribution of knowledge across nations," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 1659-1673, December.
- Stefano Fenoaltea, 2007. "I due fallimenti della storia economica: il periodo post-unitario," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 97(2), pages 341-358, March-Apr.
- Partha Dasgupta, 2005. "Economics of Social Capital," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 81(s1), pages S2-S21, 08.
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2135, David K. Levine.
- Vittorio Daniele, 2007. "Incentivi economici e disincentivi di contesto: gli investimenti esteri nel Mezzogiorno," RIVISTA DI ECONOMIA E STATISTICA DEL TERRITORIO, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2007(2), pages 5-34.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Guido de Blasio & Giorgio Nuzzo, 2010. "Historical Traditions Of Civicness And Local Economic Development," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 833-857.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- C. Hirsch & G. Sulis, 2008.
"Schooling, Production Structure and Growth: An Empirical Analysis on Italian Regions,"
Working Paper CRENoS
200821, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Hirsch Carina & Sulis Giovanni, 2009. "Schooling, Production Structure and Growth: An Empirical Analysis on Italian Regions," Rivista italiana degli economisti, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 3, pages 395-420.
- Quatraro, Francesco, 2010.
"Knowledge coherence, variety and economic growth: Manufacturing evidence from Italian regions,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1289-1302, December.
- Francesco Quatraro, 2010. "Knowledge Coherence, Variety and economic Growth: Manufacturing Evidence from Italian Regions," Post-Print halshs-00727612, HAL.
- Dani Rodrik, 2004. "Institutions and Economic Performance - Getting Institutions Right," CESifo DICE Report, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 2(2), pages 10-15, October.
- Francesco Quatraro, 2009. "The diffusion of regional innovation capabilities: Evidence from Italian patent data," Post-Print halshs-00727623, HAL.
- E. Marrocu & R. Paci, 2010.
"Education or Creativity: what matters most for economic performance?,"
Working Paper CRENoS
201031, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Emanuela Marrocu & Raffaele Paci, 2012. "Education or Creativity: What Matters Most for Economic Performance?," Economic Geography, Clark University, vol. 88(4), pages 369-401, October.
- Eicher, Theo S & Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1999. "Non-scale Models of Economic Growth," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(457), pages 394-415, July.
- Gasper, Des, 2010. "Understanding the diversity of conceptions of well-being and quality of life," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 351-360, June.
- Jones, Charles I, 1995. "R&D-Based Models of Economic Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(4), pages 759-84, August.
- Thomas M. Steger, 2005. "Welfare Implications of Non-scale R&D-based Growth Models," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 107(4), pages 737-757, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rtr:wpaper:0138. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Telephone for information)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.