Accelerating Regional Integration: Issues at the Border
The sharp decline in trade volume and value during the current economic crisis has contributed to lower transportation costs and reduced waiting times at border crossings, reducing the urgency of progress on trade facilitation. Meanwhile, greater trade is expected to play a key role in recovery, and in sustaining growth afterwards. The crisis offers an excellent opportunity to make progress on facilitating intra-Asian trade and boosting the region's contribution to global economic recovery. This paper examines the status of, and challenges to, trade facilitation among the Asian Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation members, and the roles of hard and soft infrastructure (including logistics) in improving that performance. Analysis with a computable general equilibrium framework indicates that even a relatively modest reduction in trade costs can yield significant gains. Gross domestic product in the region expands and countries move into a more diversified trading pattern. Of particular relevance for policy considerations is that the results vary considerably across bilateral trade routes and commodity categories.
|Date of creation:||25 Feb 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kasumigaseki Building 8F, 3-2-5, Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-6008, Japan|
Fax: (81-3) 3593-5571
Web page: http://www.adbi.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dennis, Allen & Shepherd, Ben, 2007. "Trade costs, barriers to entry, and export diversification in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4368, The World Bank.
- Amiti, Mary & Smarzynska Javorcik, Beata, 2008.
"Trade costs and location of foreign firms in China,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 129-149, February.
- International Monetary Fund, 2005. "Trade Costs and Location of Foreign Firms in China," IMF Working Papers 05/55, International Monetary Fund.
- Amiti, Mary & Javorcik, Beata Smarzynska, 2005. "Trade costs and location of foreign firms in China," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3564, The World Bank.
- Amiti, Mary & Javorcik, Beata, 2005. "Trade Costs and Location of Foreign Firms in China," CEPR Discussion Papers 4978, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Martinez-Zarzoso Inma & Márquez-Ramos Laura, 2008.
"The Effect of Trade Facilitation on Sectoral Trade,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-46, September.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Laura Márquez-Ramos, 2007. "The Effect of Trade Facilitation on Sectoral Trade," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 167, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- David Hummels & Volodymyr Lugovskyy & Alexandre Skiba, 2007.
"The Trade Reducing Effects of Market Power in International Shipping,"
NBER Working Papers
12914, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hummels, David & Lugovskyy, Volodymyr & Skiba, Alexandre, 2009. "The trade reducing effects of market power in international shipping," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 84-97, May.
- Hoekman, Bernard & Nicita, Alessandro, 2011.
"Trade Policy, Trade Costs, and Developing Country Trade,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(12), pages 2069-2079.
- Hoekman , Bernard & Nicita, Alessandro, 2008. "Trade Policy, Trade Costs, and Developing Country Trade," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4797, The World Bank.
- Susan Stone & Anna Strutt, 2010. "Transport Infrastructure and Trade Facilitation in the Greater Mekong Subregion," Chapters, in: Trade Facilitation and Regional Cooperation in Asia, chapter 5 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Kimura, Fukunari & Takahashi, Yuya & Hayakawa, Kazunobu, 2007. "Fragmentation and parts and components trade: Comparison between East Asia and Europe," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 23-40, February.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina, 2002.
"Assessing the impact of communication costs on international trade,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2929, The World Bank.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina, 2005. "Assessing the impact of communication costs on international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 428-445, December.
- Wilson,John S. & Mann, Catherine L. & Otsuki, Tsunehiro, 2003. "Trade facilitation and economic development : measuring the impact," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2988, The World Bank.
- H. Brooks, Douglas & F. Stone, Susan, 2010. "Infrastructure and Trade Facilitation in Asian APEC," Asian Development Review, Asian Development Bank, vol. 27(1), pages 135-159.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:adbiwp:0200. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marc Benger)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.