IDEAS home Printed from https://ideas.repec.org/
MyIDEAS: Log in (now much improved!) to save this paper

Horizontal versus Vertical FDI: New Empirical Evidence about U.S. Multinationals

Listed author(s):
  • Veronica Rappoport

    (Columbia Business School)

  • Kim J. Ruhl

    (Stern School of Business, NYU)

  • Natalia Ramondo

    (Arizona State University)

We document new facts about the behavior of U.S. multinational firms and their affiliates regarding the product space in which they operate, the nature of their input-output relationships, and intra-firm trade flows. We use confidential data on U.S. multinational firms from the Bureau of Economic Analysis for the year 1999. First, 42% of affiliates operate in the same 4-digit industry as their parent while of the remaining 58%, 15% operate in an upstream industry from their parents. In the manufacturing sector, while 54% of affiliates list the same primary industry as their parents, only 14% of affiliates list as primary industry the secondary industry of the parent. Second, 77% of affiliates ship nothing to their parents; In fact, more than 80% of affiliate sales are directed to unaffiliated parties in the market of operation. 65% of affiliates do not receive any shipments from their parents. Imports from parents represent 9% of affiliate sales, equally split between imports of goods for further processing and goods for resale. Our findings are consistent with those in Hortacsu and Syverson (2010) regarding domestic multi-plant firms. Our results suggest that firms' boundaries are determined by their ability to transfer capabilities (such as managerial ability) rather than goods within the firm. In the same spirit, our ï¬ndings suggest that multinational enterprises are more often "horizontal" rather than "vertical".

If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.

File URL: https://economicdynamics.org/meetpapers/2011/paper_654.pdf
Download Restriction: no

Paper provided by Society for Economic Dynamics in its series 2011 Meeting Papers with number 654.

as
in new window

Length:
Date of creation: 2011
Handle: RePEc:red:sed011:654
Contact details of provider: Postal:
Society for Economic Dynamics Marina Azzimonti Department of Economics Stonybrook University 10 Nicolls Road Stonybrook NY 11790 USA

Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/
Email:


More information through EDIRC

No references listed on IDEAS
You can help add them by filling out this form.

This item is not listed on Wikipedia, on a reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.

When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed011:654. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.

For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)

If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.

If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.

If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.

If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.

Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.

This information is provided to you by IDEAS at the Research Division of the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis using RePEc data.