Sustainability in a multiproduct and multiple agent contestable market
We prove that a natural monopoly can set subsidy free pricing and sustainable pricing schedules in general economic environment. The setting is a multiproduct and multiple agent contestable market where demands are elastic and where rivals can enter the sub-markets composed by a set of the products line and a set of agents. Our results suggest that the existence results of the extant literature admit analogues even in an environment where rivals have enlarged possibilities to enter the market and where demands react to prices. The approach makes use of cooperative games to deduce the main results under conditions of fair sharing cost, threshold in the consumption and regularity of the profit function.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- ten Raa, Thijs, 1983. "Supportability and anonymous equity," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 176-181, October.
- Thijs ten Raa, 1984. "Resolution of Conjectures on the Sustainability of Natural Monopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(1), pages 135-141, Spring.
- Leonard J. Mirman & Yair Tauman & Israel Zang, 1985.
"Supportability, Sustainability, and Subsidy-Free Prices,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(1), pages 114-126, Spring.
- Leonard J. Mirman, 1983. "Supportability, Sustainability and Subsidy Free Prices," Discussion Papers 563, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Bonnisseau, Jean-Marc & Iehlé, Vincent, 2007.
"Payoff-dependant Balancedness and Cores,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/89, Paris Dauphine University.
- Faulhaber, Gerald R, 1975. "Cross-Subsidization: Pricing in Public Enterprises," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(5), pages 966-77, December.
- Spulber, Daniel F., 1984. "Scale economies and existence of sustainable monopoly prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 149-163, October.
- Baumol, William J & Bailey, Elizabeth E & Willig, Robert D, 1977. "Weak Invisible Hand Theorems on the Sustainability of Multiproduct Natural Monopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 350-65, June.
- John C. Panzar & Robert D. Willig, 1977. "Free Entry and the Sustainability of Natural Monopoly," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(1), pages 1-22, Spring.
- Sharkey, William W. & Sibley, David S., 1993. "Optimal non-linear pricing with regulatory preference over customer type," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 197-229, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:13013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.