IDEAS home Printed from
   My bibliography  Save this paper

CONTRIBUTORY SOCIAL PROTECTION FOR THE INFORMAL ECONOMY? Insights from Community-Based Health Insurance (CBHI) in Senegal and Tanzania


  • Boris Verbrugge

    (HIVA, KU Leuven)

  • Adeline Ajuaye

    (HIVA, KU Leuven)

  • Jan Van Ongevalle

    (HIVA, KU Leuven)


Social protection occupies an important place on the international agenda. A growing number of low- and middle-income countries are in the midst of a ‘quiet revolution’, whereby they are integrating social protection into national development strategies (Barrientos & Hulme, 2009). This evolution is supported by international institutions like the World Bank and the ILO, who, in 2015, launched a global partnership for universal social protection (Zelenev, 2015). Yet in many of these countries, the achievement of universal social protection remains a massive challenge. According to the ILO (2017), only 29 percent of the global population enjoys access to comprehensive social protection, while the remaining 71 percent are not or only partially covered. In addition to being underfinanced and fragmented, existing systems of social protection continue to focus on those in formal employment, while excluding the majority that depends on the informal economy (Alfers et al., 2017). This coverage gap is highly worrisome, because people in the informal economy are disproportionately at risk from employment-related health- and income shocks (Chen, 2008)...

Suggested Citation

  • Boris Verbrugge & Adeline Ajuaye & Jan Van Ongevalle, 2018. "CONTRIBUTORY SOCIAL PROTECTION FOR THE INFORMAL ECONOMY? Insights from Community-Based Health Insurance (CBHI) in Senegal and Tanzania," BeFinD Working Papers 0126, University of Namur, Department of Economics.
  • Handle: RePEc:nam:befdwp:0126

    Download full text from publisher

    File URL:
    File Function: First version, 2018
    Download Restriction: no

    References listed on IDEAS

    1. Sarah Vaes & Bénédicte Fonteneau & Jan Van Ongevalle, 2017. "Towards redistributive social protection systems? Insights from Senegal and Morocco," BeFinD Policy Briefs 5, University of Namur, Department of Economics.
    2. Bénédicte Fonteneau & Sarah Vaes & Jan Van Ongevalle, 2017. "Towards redistributive social protection? Insights from Senegal and Morocco," BeFinD Working Papers 0121, University of Namur, Department of Economics.
    Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)


    Citations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.

    Cited by:

    1. Roosa Lambin & Milla Nyyssölä, 2022. "Incorporating informal workers into social insurance in Tanzania," WIDER Working Paper Series wp-2022-84, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).

    Most related items

    These are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.

      More about this item

      NEP fields

      This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:


      Access and download statistics


      All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nam:befdwp:0126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.

      If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.

      If CitEc recognized a bibliographic reference but did not link an item in RePEc to it, you can help with this form .

      If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.

      For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: François-Xavier Ledru (email available below). General contact details of provider: .

      Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.

      IDEAS is a RePEc service. RePEc uses bibliographic data supplied by the respective publishers.