Durable Goods, Inter-Sectoral Linkages and Monetary Policy
Barsky, House and Kimball (2007) show that introducing durable goods into a sticky-price model leads to negative sectoral comovement of production following a monetary policy shock and, under certain conditions, to aggregate neutrality. These results appear to undermine sticky-price models. In this paper, we show that these results are not robust to two prominent and realistic features of the data, namely input-output interactions and limited mobility of productive inputs. When extended to allow for both features, the sticky-price model with durable goods delivers implications in line with VAR evidence on the effects of monetary policy shocks.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (514) 343-6540
Fax: (514) 343-5831
Web page: http://www.sceco.umontreal.ca
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yun, Tack, 1996. "Nominal price rigidity, money supply endogeneity, and business cycles," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 345-370, April.
- Hafedh Bouakez & Emanuela Cardia & Francisco J. Ruge-Murcia, 2009.
"The Transmission Of Monetary Policy In A Multisector Economy,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1243-1266, November.
- BOUAKEZ, Hafed & CARDIA Emanuela & RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco, 2005. "The Transmission of Monetary Policy in a Multi-Sector Economy," Cahiers de recherche 2005-16, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- BOUAKEZ, Hafedh & CARDIA, Emanuela & RUGE-MURCIA, Francisco J., 2005. "The Transmission of Monetary Policy in a Multi-Sector Economy," Cahiers de recherche 20-2005, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Steven J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1999.
"Sectoral Job Creation and Destruction Responses to Oil Price Changes,"
NBER Working Papers
7095, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Steven J. & Haltiwanger, John, 2001. "Sectoral job creation and destruction responses to oil price changes," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 465-512, December.
- Robert Barsky & Christopher L. House & Miles Kimball, 2005.
"Sticky Price Models and Durable Goods,"
- Erceg, Christopher & Levin, Andrew, 2006. "Optimal monetary policy with durable consumption goods," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 1341-1359, October.
- Monacelli, Tommaso, 2009.
"New Keynesian models, durable goods, and collateral constraints,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 242-254, March.
- Monacelli, Tommaso, 2006. "New Keynesian Models, Durable Goods and Collateral Constraints," CEPR Discussion Papers 5916, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carlstrom, Charles T. & Fuerst, Timothy S., 2010. "Nominal Rigidities, Residential Investment, And Adjustment Costs," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 136-148, February.
- Gert Peersman & Frank Smets, 2005.
"The Industry Effects of Monetary Policy in the Euro Area,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(503), pages 319-342, 04.
- Peersman, Gert & Smets, Frank, 2002. "The industry effects of monetary policy in the euro area," Working Paper Series 0165, European Central Bank.
- Barth, Marvin J III & Ramey, Valerie A, 2000.
"The Cost Channel of Monetary Transmissions,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt7rm5q9sk, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Charles T. Carlstrom & Timothy S. Fuerst, 2006. "Co-movement in sticky price models with durable goods," Working Paper 0614, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2000.
"Raising the Speed Limit: US Economic Growth in the Information Age,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
261, OECD Publishing.
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2000. "Raising the Speed Limit: U.S. Economic Growth in the Information Age," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 31(1), pages 125-236.
- Robert Barsky & Christopher L. House & Miles Kimball, 2003.
"Do Flexible Durable Goods Prices Undermine Sticky Price Models?,"
NBER Working Papers
9832, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert Barsky & Christopher House & Miles Kimball, 2003. "Do Flexible Durable Goods Prices Undermine Sticky Price Models?," Macroeconomics 0302003, EconWPA.
- Dedola, Luca & Lippi, Francesco, 2005.
"The monetary transmission mechanism: Evidence from the industries of five OECD countries,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 49(6), pages 1543-1569, August.
- Luca Dedola & Francesco Lippi, 2000. "The monetary transmission mechanism; evidence from the industries of five OECD countries," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 389, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Dedola, Luca & Lippi, Francesco, 2000. "The Monetary Transmission Mechanism: Evidence from the Industries of Five OECD Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 2508, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dedola, L. & Lippi, F., 2000. "The Monetary Transmission Mechanism: Evidence from the Industries of Five OECD Countries," Papers 389, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Steve J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1991. "Wage Dispersion Between and Within U.S. Manufacturing Plants, 1963-1986," NBER Working Papers 3722, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Valerie A. Ramey & Matthew D. Shapiro, 2001. "Displaced Capital: A Study of Aerospace Plant Closings," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(5), pages 958-992, October.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Mark Bils & Peter J. Klenow, 2002.
"Some Evidence on the Importance of Sticky Prices,"
NBER Working Papers
9069, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Horvath, Michael, 2000. "Sectoral shocks and aggregate fluctuations," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 69-106, February.
- Lee Junhee, 2009. "Examining Sectoral Co-Movement in Estimated Nominal Rigidities Models," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 9(1), pages 1-22, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mtl:montde:2008-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sharon BREWER)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.